Where to drill?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
So I got these black things that go in the holes for my new tank but I'm wondering where to drill the holes. My LFS guy said to drill the hole in the bottom. I like that idea because then I don't have to worry about ugly plumbing stuff hanging off my tank but if something goes wrong wouldn't that drain all the water out of my tank? Shouldn't I put it near the top so it can't dump all the water out? He started to explain it to me but I got lost. Oy!

Catherine

Well, I've neer drilled a tank before but I know that if the BOTTOM piece of the tank is tempered then you DO NOT want to drill it. Instead, drill near the bottom of the BACK glass. You could install a check valve, which will close, thus stop any back flow, when there is no pressure from the pump.

I think, lol. Someone else will surely help you out. :)

if you drill the hole in the bottom for the drain you will need to install a pipe that runs close to the surface a check valve will not work for a drain(with a check valve on a drain it will not drain.) than run a peice of pipe up over the top of the tank for the return line. if you dont use a peice of pipe on it and the power goes out it will drain the whole tank.

You can drill in either spot. I always do the top of the back for two reasons. 1 the bottom is often tempered 2 I simply feel safer with it at the top, however like mention if you put a riser tube in like a DIY durso (SP) you should be safe.

If you do drill the bottom you would want to build a overflow to cover up the tube coming up, but if it's on the back then there is less plumbing and one is not needed.

Wherever you decide to drill make sure it's at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the edge to help stop any cracking.

if you drill the hole in the bottom for the drain you will need to install a pipe that runs close to the surface a check valve will not work for a drain(with a check valve on a drain it will not drain.) than run a peice of pipe up over the top of the tank for the return line. if you dont use a peice of pipe on it and the power goes out it will drain the whole tank.

This totally doesn't make sense. How can I understand f-stops and shutter speeds so easily and moving water around a tank baffles me. Is there a book or something that I can get that would explain this?

Catherine

you will want something like this this is how mine is drilled but you will only have one pipe a drain. the other pipe is the return for you it will be easier to just run some pvc from the pump up the back side of the tank and just get some elbows to turn the pipe to the water and just put it a little bit under the water.

004-2.jpg

Dc that just looked dirty. Personally if you are gonna run return pipes up behind the tank for your returns then I would drill the back. If you dont want pipes on the back of the tank then you need two holes in the bottom one for drain one for return. :twocents:

I agree with Ted.
Drilling the bottom takes more planning and less room for error, but it looks the cleanest.
Either way, research Stockman Standpipes and Durso Standpipes.

My current tank was drilled for the drain at the bottom of the rear glass because no one can see the back of the tank. My return lines just run up behind the tank and over the top like James explained, but i like to keep my return lines suspended just over the water. This keeps algae from growing on the pvc ends and the return water hitting the surface of the tank water keeps the water surface clean and moving.

My new tank is going to be drilled all in the bottom because you can see all 4 sides.

Back