Where to place Frogspawn

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey all,

So about a month and a half ago, I got a frogspawn coral. I put him on the leftmost side of my tank about 2/3 of the way up. That part of my tank doesn't get a lot of light. My wife is concerned he isn't getting enough light. Should I move him? His arms are usually extended durring the day but he curls up pretty tight as night falls. This is him about 2 weeks ago. He looks a little bigger now.

untitled_untitledshoot_19-2.jpg

This is a picture of my tank (at night). You can see him on the left side of the tank kinda in the shadow. Should I move him more towards the center? Thanks!

untitled_untitledshoot_26-2.jpg

Mine is huge during the day and shrivles up at night, too. Its normal. On the other hand, wait til it gets really big, theyre so cool!

It's normal for them to shrink up at night. Corals extend themselves to maximize their surface area for photosynthesis when it's light out. When it's dark, there's no point (unless they are feeding on stuff in the water) to stay extended.

That's a great place for him :)
You don't really want them in intense direct light.

Frogspawn are a great coral I bought one about 6 heads when I was new and it was one of my first corals. It was one of the few to survive my mini cycle/tank crash. They are really good indicators for you. If you see your frogspawn shrunk down during the day when he would normally be out that should catch your attention right away that something is wrong in your tank and should be looked into right away :)

Needless to say that same frogspawn Is about 2 years in my tank with at least 30+ heads! ^_^ And needs a pretty large area of the tank to himself >:P

PS: I would spot feed them about twice a week when they are small like that. It's not necessary but it will keep it healthy and let it grow quicker than it would. :)

the frogspawn wont eat plankton, that is too small. Try larger meaty foods like brine or mysid. I personally have never fed my frogspawn

the frogspawn wont eat plankton, that is too small. Try larger meaty foods like brine or mysid. I personally have never fed my frogspawn

I can say the same for the on I had and can say the same for my hammer I've spot shot food at them every once and awhile but never directly fed them regularly:Cheers:

They aren't planktonic feeders. Hannah is right -- target feeding them larger meaty pieces tends to make them grow faster, although they do just fine without feeding.

Back