Where to place the live rocks?

pooria

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I'm super new to this hobby. I have a 26 bowfront tank with 20lbs of live rock.
I have placed liverock somewhat towards center of the tank and now my fishes
hide (most of the time) behind the rocks.
Is it ok if I move the ranks close to the back of the tank so that they don't be able to hide back there ? If I do this, they might lose some of their playing spots, is it ok ?

You can move the rocks toward the back of the tank, that is OK. But the fish still need places to hide to feel safe. The longer they are in the tank the more comfortable they will become and will spend more time out in the open.

You also want more rock in your tank if you only have 20 pounds in a 26 gallon tank, the general rule is between 1 to 2 pounds per gallon, with about 1 1/2 being a good point to shoot for. Your best bet at this point would be to get dry rock and add to the tank and in a short time it will become live rock .

live rocks have bacteria living on them that process the toxic fish waste (ammonia) to a less toxic compond (nitrates).

dry rock, is just dry rock. However, it can be made to become live rock by just placing it in your tank. The bacteria will grow on the new rock in no time flat! And you will have saved yourself a bunch of money for more fun stuff, like corals.

My favorite place to by dry rocks is www.marcorocks.com

Back