Where's my CUC?

I know what you mean but we're talking 6 days later.
My tank is far from perfect. I have a nice hair algae/dino combo stewing in there now.
Even though my water tests out fine (alk and calc are a little low), it looks like ass.

Have you tried Mexican Snails?
They are almost efficient as sea urchins.
Te can eat a lot of hair algae in no time.
Every night i will position one on a rock covered by algae and in the morning is razed and white.
Same does an urchin, you must buy those white ones that are not having lond spines. They are cool and they are not touching any corals, they have some jelly long readers and they avoid anythings but rocks.I picture that one in my tank video.
The turbo snails and the small invertebrates you can have 100 of them they cannot do a good job but these big creatures they do.
Mexican snails are really but enaugh to devore everything !

They are one of the best cleaners you will find seeing is how they only eat algae. You can put a few of these guys in you aquarium and in a few days your tank will most likely look a hundred times better. They are generally peaceful and reef safe. As far as invertebrate safe I have yet to find anything stating that they are not safe.
Unlike hermit crabs these snails will not change shells but instead grow their current to fit their new size. In order for this to happen your tank must have calcium added to it. The minimum tank size they require is 10 gallons and in a large tank they may not be easily found. They may come in several colors but most will likely be brown but may have other colors such as blue on their shell. Sounds like a great way to clean up a mess that most dread doing. Why not let them do what they love best and help you keep things in tip top shape in the process?

here in canada they are 3 for 10 $

Sometimes i drip, sometimes i don't. They usually do ok for me. It's not that they die right away, i'm talking over a couple months.

So looks like I'm NOT testing for copper. The bottle of test solution in my kit was opened and completely empty! And this lfs is completely out of my way. I only went there because I had to pick my dog up at the vet nearby. :grumble:

He is saying they do fine for couple of months

Last edited:
Dennis, have you considered that scrubber yet? I know you were waiting for the space to allocate to it. Are you there yet? I am about to build one this weekend. If you're still thinking of doing one, I can take some photos as I go along and let you know if it has helped with my miserable HA problem.

Whats happening,is the dinos are toxic to the inverts that are eatting them.I went through the exact same problem with em.I couldnt keep any kind of algae eater alive.

Dennis, have you considered that scrubber yet? I know you were waiting for the space to allocate to it. Are you there yet? I am about to build one this weekend. If you're still thinking of doing one, I can take some photos as I go along and let you know if it has helped with my miserable HA problem.

Ya, still working on the new tank and no way to get more room under my current one. But I do have a UV light waiting for the new build as well as a BRS dual reactor for carbon and high capacity gfo. So i guess I'll see how those two things do on the new build.
You should definitely take pics and post your progress.

Whats happening,is the dinos are toxic to the inverts that are eatting them.I went through the exact same problem with em.I couldnt keep any kind of algae eater alive.

Well :pooh:
That explains why my sea hare died in 5 or 6 days. :grumble:

Lol i had to google because i don't know what Dinos is;
look what i found, this is funny!

"
Killer algae may be guilty of world's greatest mass extinctions

Washington, October 20 : A new theory has suggested that the seemingly lowly algae may be the killer behind the world's great species mass extinctions.
Today, just about anywhere there is water, there can be toxic algae.

The microscopic plants usually exist in small concentrations, but a sudden warming in the water or an injection of dust or sediment from land can trigger a bloom that kills thousands of fish, poisons shellfish, or even humans.

According to James Castle and John Rodgers of Clemson University, the same thing happened during the five largest mass extinctions in Earth’s history.

In their research, each time a large die off occurred, they found a spike in the number of fossil algae mats called stromatolites strewn around the planet.

“If you go through theories of mass extinctions, there are always some unanswered questions,” Castle said.

“For example, an impact – how does that cause species to go extinct? Is it climate change, dust in the atmosphere? It''s probably not going to kill off all these species on its own,” he added.

But as the nutrient-rich fallout from the disaster lands in the water, it becomes food for algae.

They explode in population, releasing chemicals that can act as anything from skin irritants to potent neurotoxins.

Plants on land can pick up the compounds in their roots, and pass them on to herbivorous animals.

If the theory is right, it answers a lot of questions about how species died off in the ancient world. It also raises concerns for how today''s algae may damage the ecosystem in a warmer world.

“Algae growth is favored by warmer temperatures,” Castle said. “You get accelerated metabolism and reproduction of these organisms, and the effect appears to be enhanced for species of toxin-producing cyanobacteria,” he added.

He added that toxic algae in the United States appear to be migrating slowly northward through the country’s ponds and lakes, and along the coast as temperatures creep upward.

Their expanding range portends a host of problems for fish and wildlife, but also for humans, as algae increasingly invade reservoirs and other sources of drinking water. "

Back