Which Corals

fishman

Reefing newb
Thanks for all the advise on my last post,but while I'm doing all this waiting and dreaming .I am thinking of which corals i can put in first (some of the easier ones to work with).Can someone give a small list 4 or 5.I just do not know what to buy. The xenia that i have is doing great , but it was gave to me from a friend that had more than he needed.I just want a tank like all the pictures in a FEW YEARS.THANKS

I think now would be the time to purchase a book....

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History
by Eric H. Borneman

IMHO This is one of many books that can help steer you in the right direction. Don't listen to closely to your LFS at this point you will find they probably care several corals that are hard to maintain or keep alive. They sell these corals because they are pretty. Take your time, I take that book with me when I go to the LFS so I don't buy the wrong corals.

Soft corals are your best right now.

This is how I go about it myself.

Hope this helps and good luck!

corals

Chris is right, a book or two would be good about now. a very low cost book with a lot of good advice is CORALS by John Turlock (everything about purchase, care, feeding, and compatibility) cost under $20 and about 95 pages long. great book good pictures for the price and gives two senerios for a compatible coral tank reef crest or lagoon. hope this helps. (copy right 2000) I.e. lagoon - Sarcophyton, Lobophytum, Sinularia, sea mats, and vaious corallimorphs.

Mushrooms and polyps are great starter corals.I new here so im not sure if you posted your lighting specs.This also determines what types will trive in your tank

Definately buy or borrow one of the books mentioned in this thread. Also, think about joining a reef club. We have a club in Chattanooga, and we share our books. Also, we have frag swaps. At the last frag swap, I was able to get 7 corals for less than $80.00.

My first corals were Xenia, mushrooms, and a blue bubble coral (my favorite).

Angela

Fishman is from Alabama, he's only an hour away from Chattanooga. I just found out about the club myself and am definetly going to join.

Back