which is better at eating pest

lilmatty5dimes

Reef enthusiast
looking at getting a red coris wrasse or a hoeven wrasse to keep control on unwanted pest has anyone had either one before? experience with them? thanks

I have a melanarus wrasse (hoeven's wrasse). He is a pretty peaceful fish and gets along well in my community. He's definitely always on the hunt for stuff in my tank. my only complaint with him is that he occasionally flips over my smaller corals on the sand when he goes after a pod or something under them. No biggie, I just flip them back over. I think I'd go with the melanaraus over the coris, which I've heard can get large and mean. Sixlines also do a good job at hunting pests.

thanks fishy. i'm starting to think the same thing. i'm starting tolove the colors of the hoeven. i wont get a 6line. that are to aggressive and i haven't had one eat anything. i might get a pair of the hoeven tho. thanks again any pics of yours?

Which pest? For Aptasia, the peppermint shrimp ate them ALL... it was great. I also have a six-line wrasse which picks at the liverock. No pests here...

What pest are you trying to control? Keep in mind that as the Melanurus ages, it will start to go after snails, and small shrimp as well. I have had two that needed to be re-homed after they aged a little

Sixlines are the way I'd go, they are great at eating up the bad stuff, They won't bother snails or Hermits and they stay pretty small.

Sixlines are the way I'd go, they are great at eating up the bad stuff, They won't bother snails or Hermits and they stay pretty small.
i've had 3 6line and they really didn't do to much. plus, if i were to get any other wrasse the 6line would bully them to death.

My Dottybacks were great for certain pests. Neon, Sunrise, and Indigo are what I'd recommend. I've owned each one (Still have the Sunrise, and liked it so much I decided to add it to my DT) and seen them on the prowl. The indigo would even attempt to pick stuff off of fish. And, I've never seen any of those three attempt hermits, snails, shrimp, or displace corals.

I've been attempting to get a good picture of my melanarus for you and he's just too darn fast, all I get is a huge blur! Mine is a large male (4+ inches) and so far seems content with pods and small hitchhiking snails - hasn't gone after any of my cuc snails - but then again my cuc has dwindled over time (not due to the wrasse, he was added later) and is down to mostly trochus snails - perhaps he just doesn't like these snails. I have more types of snails arriving tomorrow so I'll be curious to see if he goes for any of them. He hasn't touched my cleaner shrimp. He has gotten quite fat living in my tank though so I know he's eating well.

Matty, what types of pests are you dealing with?

Back