Which is the better choice

RIJohn

Reefing newb
So my girl has decided that since I have saltwater tank in the making that she want one as well. She wants to do a sea horse tank.....

So what do you think of a good sea horse tank. Biocube, JBJ, Red sea. Something not super big because she wants to on her dresser?

Shoot me some ideas, even if its AGA or something

The size of your tank depends on the species of horse you are rearing. Which species are you looking at? A 30 gallon tall would be nice for 4 H. erectus or H. reidi both are good for beginners. Don't get only one seahorse! They are very social creatures and can die from loneliness.

Catherine

The size of your tank depends on the species of horse you are rearing. Which species are you looking at? A 30 gallon tall would be nice for 4 H. erectus or H. reidi both are good for beginners. Don't get only one seahorse! They are very social creatures and can die from loneliness.

Catherine

H. Reidi seems to be what my girlfriend is looking into getting. She really wants the Biocube though? Would it be ok to keep 4 H Reidi in 29gallon Cube?

She wanted to keep pairs she wants 2 yellow and 2 red ones.

H. Reidi are sweet. You need a tank that is at least 18-20 inches high. The lighting is pretty intense for horses too. How tall is a bio-cube? I wouldn't put more than 4 in a 30 gallon tank. You'll need a species only tank with pretty much only softies for corals. Reidi are sweet but erectus are more personable IMO. You'll LOVE horses!

Last edited:
H. Reidi are sweet. You need a tank that is at least 18-20 inches high. The lighting is pretty intense for horses too. How tall is a bio-cube? I wouldn't put more than 4 in a 30 gallon tank. You'll need a species only tank with pretty much only softies for corals. Reidi are sweet but erectus are more personable IMO. You'll LOVE horses!

The bio cube measures 20.8x19x20.1in. reason I am asking my LFS has about three dozen in their display tank. I know thats to much but was wondering about how many she could put in.

Power Compacts are to much? What lighting do they require?

With the lighting you'll need to provide spots for them to hide out of the sun. They'll have trouble with too much light and it will stress them out. Do you have any other animals in the tank? Where did the horses come from at the LFS? Wild caught horses don't do well in captivity and they have parasites that become a problem. You only want captive bred! Best spot in the world for horses: Seahorse Source, the ultimate place for captive bred seahorses.

Oh, don't buy a horse for color! They'll more than likely change when you get them in your tank. Most species of horses come in yellows and reds....

With the lighting you'll need to provide spots for them to hide out of the sun. They'll have trouble with too much light and it will stress them out. Do you have any other animals in the tank? Where did the horses come from at the LFS? Wild caught horses don't do well in captivity and they have parasites that become a problem. You only want captive bred! Best spot in the world for horses: Seahorse Source, the ultimate place for captive bred seahorses.

Ok so provide them with shaded areas.

The LFS has pincushion in with them, tiger goby, two platinium clowns, and thats it for fish, a few snails, somre torch and frogspawn corals.

LFS are tank US CB Tank Rasied horses, supposedly.

Oh, don't buy a horse for color! They'll more than likely change when you get them in your tank. Most species of horses come in yellows and reds....

She likes them for their colors and their tranquility....

Seahorses do best with a species only tank. They really shouldn't have any other types of fish in there with them. The frogspawn and torch corals are a very bad idea. They can stress out the horses and open the door for infections and an early death. Horses are very difficult to care for unless you set up the tank for them and their specific needs. The colors could and probably will change when you get them in your tank, they camouflage themselves, their colors change depending on their surroundings. You need to know where these horses have come from. Wild caught horses don't live long and are finicky eaters, loaded with worms/ parasites and they pick up infections easily. Do you have a good supply of medications for horses? Do you know how to do a pouch evacuation on the males? Horses are wonderful creatures, full of personality and charm but you need to go slow and don't buy on an impulse. They are worth the work!

Seahorses do best with a species only tank. They really shouldn't have any other types of fish in there with them. The frogspawn and torch corals are a very bad idea. They can stress out the horses and open the door for infections and an early death. Horses are very difficult to care for unless you set up the tank for them and their specific needs. The colors could and probably will change when you get them in your tank, they camouflage themselves, their colors change depending on their surroundings. You need to know where these horses have come from. Wild caught horses don't live long and are finicky eaters, loaded with worms/ parasites and they pick up infections easily. Do you have a good supply of medications for horses? Do you know how to do a pouch evacuation on the males? Horses are wonderful creatures, full of personality and charm but you need to go slow and don't buy on an impulse. They are worth the work!

Oh my god overload, I will try to start with no idea on Meds or pouch evacuation. Corals I figured just shrooms for the tank. Species only tank I have no problem with doing but would like at least a CUC. I had no intentions on buying WC if bred in captivity then I buy from CB stock. As for lights what about LEDs. Or would that be to much also?

Thanks for guiding me through her set up

Back