Which salt mix do you prefer?

Which salt mix do you prefer?

• Total voters
I use to be an oceanic user, but after reading numerous independant studies it became very obvious that oceanic struggles with some very serious heavy metal issues.

I switched to Tropic Marine Pro Reef grade about a month ago and since that time colors, growth and polyp extension has been much better.

Just something for all those who use oceanic to look into... I myself swore by it for the longest.

Brandon

I have used instant ocean for at least 6 years and never studied on making any changes, All I can say is my tank ( a mixed reef, mostly lps and softies) has always done very well, I never owned any kind of buffer for ph or alkalinity things were always just stable, however Ive started keeping more stonies in the later years and they arnt very forgiving, so Im switching to reef crystals to see if it will help with some of the perameters that stonies are more sensitive to. Ill let you know what my results are.

Iron:

The studies that I have read all tested x number of elements and gave that salt a check if it was within a % off from NSW.

The three best were, in no particular order.
Instant Ocean
Kent
Tropic Marine

Obviously which elements are more important in your tank plays a big part IO wasn't even close on Calcium which is probably why most don't like it for SPS tanks... and probably why others mix it with other salts such as Oceanic which has extremly high Calcium levels......

If you are interested I'll PM you some links.
Brandon

what I was told is that instant ocean was a good salt but wasnt high in calcium and other elements, and also didnt keep the alk up high enough.
reef crystals is suppose to be made by instant ocean but has higher readings in the elements above. Thats just what ive been told?
Im may try that mortons you were talking about earlier! :bounce:
my corals would probly love it, did you use a shaker when you mixed or just dump it from the bag?

In an umbrella then just turn it upside down in a trash can.....

Look at the girl on the front of the box......

HEHE

I like morton lol,I used instant ocean in last one and I have to dose for alkalinity all the time and calcuim but I have lots of corals in a 20 gallon lol.Im going to change to reef crystals maybe if I can get away with robbing a bank.kinda expinsive :twocents:

Last edited:
I have been trying out different salts for a while, I have used Instant ocean it is a good cheap salt. Tropic Marin I find is a good all round salt, dissolves very good, but a little more pricey. However Seachem Reefsalt I find to be expensive but well worth the money. Plus you save the extra money on additives. I would strongly recommend trying this salt.

I have been using coralife. I will be changing soon to something else. They clam 1/2 cup per gallon
PH 8.2-8.3
cal 390-410
mag 1250-1300
sg 1.021-1.023

I have a 20 gallon and want better salt.

I use Tropic Marine Pro Reef, but add a cup of Mortons for every 15 gallons just to make sure its salty enough...

OK JK about the Mortons.

BV

Back