which size tank

fjoanne

Reefing newb
I am finally going to get my bigger tank but I can't decide on the size I wanted to get a 125 long (72x18x22) but someone told me I should get a 150 (48x24x30)instead. isnt it better to get a longer tank? I plan to put some larger fish like angelfish and a tang maybe a couple smaller fish too so would it be better to have the added water volume or swimming length?

Your main consideration will probably be light. Lighting a 72" tank can easily cost twice as much as lighting a 48" tank. The shorter tank will be much easier to aquascape, but if you are planning on doing a reef, you will need to keep high-light corals up top, since light won't penetrate as well in a deeper tank. Also, a 72" tank will be better for tangs, since they need a lot of swimming room. A lot of tangs won't do well in a 48" tank, no matter how wide it is.

I think it's a toss up!

I don't plan on this tank ever being a reef just a FOWLR. because I would like to put a large angel in so do you think a longer tank would be better or the wider one? I am thinking it would prob. be easier to aquascape and clean the wider one but would it be better to have a longer area for the fish tol swim in?

Back