Which Size?

Sir Alex

Dragon the eel (below)
I just got a tank out of my grandfather's basement which I was hopping to turn into a reef tank. I measured it and found that it's only 30 gallons, too small... :( I'm thinking of just starting from scratch. Should I go with 46 gallon bowfront, a 75 gallon rectangular tank, or a 72 gallon bowfront. I have a pretty tight budget...

The 42 gallon bowfront is 4' feet long, I think. I haven't done a whole lot of research, I wanted to find out what I should be researching first.

No, its only 3 ft. I have a 46 bow, which is a good for a beginner reef because you can really fill it up without buying a lot of corals, but you have very limited fish options.

No, its only 3 ft. I have a 46 bow, which is a good for a beginner reef because you can really fill it up without buying a lot of corals, but you have very limited fish options.

Oops, I meant the 72 gallon. Would I be able to keep a tang in a tank that small?

I would go with the standard 75 gallon rectangular tank. Equipment will be easy to find for it, since it's a very common tank size. You also won't be as limited in your fish choices than if you went with the smaller tanks.

You can do just HOB stuff, but you will find a sump is highly desirable. It puts all the unsightly equipment out of the way and increases your water volume with is very nice

i would say so. Also, check out cragslist for cheap tanks. People are always getting out of the hobby and selling their stuff off for cheap

Yah, I think I'll go for a 72 or 75 gallon bowfront. Preferably with an overflow but if I can't get one then I'll get a HOB overflow. One question about them, little_fish. Do I need a return pump or does it send the water down then bring it back up? Do they use a pump or they just use gravity?

Last edited:
My tank is only 29g and I dont think its TOO small, I love it. I think rather than a one big huge tank I will probably end up with a couple small/medium ones.

My next one is going to be seahorses and pipefish

Back