Which Skimmer to buy

SonicGT02

Reefing newb
I've been thinking of upgrading my skimmer and have been looking into the Octopus skimmers. I presently have a Coralife Super Skimmer, but think it could do a better job. I haven't had all the problems that some have mentioned, like overflowing, but I think it could do better. So, if I went with Octopus, which one?? Is there a less expensive skimmer that would do better than what I have?? I need an in sump that doesn't have a bigger footprint than my present skimmer, which would be 10"x8". I have a 90 gal tank with a 30 gal sump. Suggestions?

As Octopus skimmers goes....

Go with the one you can afford and fit in the space.If all you can afford is needlewheel version then go with that.If you want one a little better then go with the recirculating needlewheel for a bit more money.On the higher end models,the Extremes,Cones and Super Reef,it's harder to decide which version to go with.The Cones are the space saving version but I don't know which is considered the best.IMO,all will do a much better job then the CSS.

Attachments

• ext 160.jpg
    ext 160.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!! If I do go Octo, I'll go with the extreme 160. Now today a friend of mine told me that he would sell me his Aqua Euro USA 135 skimmer for $125. He got rid of one of his tanks a year ago, so he has this one sitting around. Does anyone know anything about this brand?? Doesn't look like a great price for used, but I don't really know.

Back