which test kits

Toolman

RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH
Which basic test kits do I need to get? Don't want to go broke buying them and the strips are no good right?

Strips are not very accurate.

The basic ones you'll need are pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.

Calcium is important if you have LPS or SPS corals.

I use all API test kits and so far they have been great. The ph one is a little hard for me to read sometimes, but otherwise very happy with them.

I also take some water to my LFS once in a while and have them test it as well, especially if I am not certain of the results. Both of the LFS near me test for free and they did all of my testing for me for the first couple of months on a weekly basis. I'm sure that is not the recommended approach, but it was a cost effective approach for me and I didn't have to buy all the test kits at once. I bought the basics first, and then had the LFS test calc and alk for me for a few weeks and then bought those too.

I agree the API Test kits work fine in my experience. Maybe if you were using special systems such as the Zeovit system or Neo-Zeo methods I would want a couple of the higher test kits for like Magnesium and phosphates but APIs get you close enough.

Just as a side note, say your API Calcium is a little high don't worry and if it is a little low, don't increase it a lot. Same goes with every test.

Ok here is the deal I wanted the API Saltwater Master Test Kit which does pH, Ammonia,Nitrite & Nitrate. What My LFS sold me was the Reef Master Test Kit which checks calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate and nitrate. Which one and of course the reef master kit is twice the price.:frustrat:

You would need the carbonate hardness (alkalinity) test anyway, which the API kit doesn't have. You'd probably want the phosphate one too.

But you'll still need all the ones in the API kit too.

Do you have any corals? If not, then you don't need calcium.

Phosphate tests are useless. Algae consumes phosphate so quickly that your test can read 0, and you can have a huge phosphate problem and not know it.

I'd say just get the cheaper set for now, and buy an alkalinity (carbonate hardness) test separately.

Do you have any corals? If not, then you don't need calcium.

Phosphate tests are useless. Algae consumes phosphate so quickly that your test can read 0, and you can have a huge phosphate problem and not know it.

I'd say just get the cheaper set for now, and buy an alkalinity (carbonate hardness) test separately.

Yeah but if the phosphate does read high you have a problem.

Back