Which type of anthia?

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
Ok, i never know what types of anthia are what.

so which one is this?

also, seems to hide a lot and only comes out when lights first come on and when lights go out. She has only been in my tank for about 2 weeks though. should i get a second one so it can school with it? or maybe make it a trio? or is that too much in my 60 to have them school?

imag0168t.jpg

thanks

They do better in schools of odd numbers, so you should get 2 more at least, consisting of 3 females, or 1 male and 2 females.

Haha, brian, it was imaginary for a second ;) you were quick to pick that up!

So, for schooling, you think a 60 would be too small to have 2 or 3 in total? Im sure reef will chime in as well and say if its possible they are gorgeous fish

It really depends on the type, the different types have different tank requirements for the individuals and groups. If the one I posted is actually what you have then it recommends 125g for a group.

You have a female Tuka better known as a purple queen anthias.

My advice is to not get anymore at this time.They are one of the most difficult anthias.How is she eating now?Her belly is looking flat and not round so that tells me she hasn't been getting enough to eat.

she has only just started regularly coming out. I put food in front of her face today but she didn't take it. is there a way to get her eating. gf will be very upset if this one dies!

Try spiking it with some garlic to stimulate the appetite. If you know where she is hanging out when she hides, use a turkey baster to push some mysis (laced with garlic) back/in there. See if that helps.

I really have no good advice Josh.

They are very slow to adapt to non live food is one of the reasons they are so difficult.I've read of people using live brine to get them started, then weening them on to frozen cyclops and small mysis shrimps.Even some of the expert anthias keepers on the big sites won't touch them.

Ill figure something out, i knew they were hard to get thinking, but not this hard. So ill do what i can. thanks for the help though. Bad because they are such gorgeous fish,

Back