which water is the best?

Hector

Reefing newb
I'm observing some evaporation and I need to fill it up - Obvously I'm not pretending to use tap water tank salinity: 1.023Nano aquarium1 percula clownlive rocks 13 liters tank

most of use RODI water in our tanks for top offs use just water on salt but i would recommend bring up you salinity to 1.025 to 1.026

I've just added some freshwater and now it turned down to 1.022 (which is on the normal range marked on my hydrometer) :notworthy:

It's best to use RO/DI water for top-offs and water changes unless you have done some extensive testing on your tap water and know it's "good".
As far as salinity....
http://www.ronshimek.com/salinity_temperature.html
"Coral reefs are generally located in areas that have salinities in the range of 35 ppt (1.026 SG) to 38 ppt (1.029 SG). Most of our corals, and the associated fauna including fishes, will live best at those conditions (Weber and White 1976)."
"The bottom line for salinities is simple. There is simply no reason at all to maintain the salinities of our systems below normal reef conditions. All reef inhabitants will suffer damage from prolonged exposure to lowered salinities. Invertebrates kept at low salinities often die within a few days to a few months. Given that corals, sea anemones, sponges and some other invertebrates have no old age or senescence (or to put it another way, they are immortal), low salinities result in a quick death. Some mollusks, crustaceans, and most fish kept at low salinities die of kidney failure; it just takes them longer. A fish which dies in a couple of years in a hyposaline aquarium may have had the potential to live more than 20 years had the salinity been appropriate."

Ok Thanks - So I will increase it to those ranges ;) - Question: how do you guys add the salt to the tank when is needed?

You can raise salinity by using saltwater instead of freshwater for top offs or when doing a water change make the salinity in the new water higher than what your tank is reading.

Back