Whisper filters

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I have heard they suck, and for what I have seen, they have a few flaws. I wanted to share my brief experience with them as an option for those who may be financially challenged and cannot afford a sump right away, but want to experience the hobby.

Please note, my comments are not to be misunderstood that HOB filters are remotely close to the same as a sump. Sumps are the best way to go. With that being said, here is my experiment with whisper filters.

first, they tend to get dirty fast. I have had mine for about 2 weeks and I have already had to take it out to clean out the tubing. The carbon pad clogs up SUPER fast and the effectiveness of the carbon seems to last a week. Those things are useless. They also grow hair algae super fast and need to be taken out and cleaned weekly. But, alas, all is not lost. With a bit of farting around, they can be useful.

Here is the deal. if you go this route, immediately ditch the white carbon pad. Keep the physical filtration (the black foam thing). It keeps nasty pieces of gunk and other things out of the tank. the black pad stays closest to the overflow. Behind that, there is enough space to add two media bags, one filled with carbon and the other with phosguard. the media bags create a partial barrier for physical filtration, but mostly clean the water. the flow is still the same, but with your own media bags, there is enough carbon and phosguard to last a month. This is what I have done to increase their value. I will do another post in a few weeks to see if it holds up.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I used to run an emperor HOB on my 30 (actually 2 emperor 400s).
They did a great job of keeping the water clean.But they did have to be cleaned out at least every other day.
Reefs can be kept with HOB filters as long as your willing to put in the work to keep them maintained.

Back