White clown...what do I do??

lilreefgirl

Reefing newb
I have had this clown for about 2 months, no problems. (he's almost 2 years old)
Got an anemone 1 month ago, hosted it for about 2 weeks, then stopped??
Temp spiked to 86 1 week ago, lost 2nd (younger clownfish - purchased same time as anemone) 3 days later (that was last Thursday)
Temp has fluctuated between 78-82 since - cant get it stabilized!
Fed the anemone a small piece of shrimp today for the first time (was feeding it brine), lights out tonight, and I see a huge white thing coming out of the anemone - well, it's puking up the shrimp. Removed it from the tank just as the anemone let it go. Looked at the clown, looks strange, turned lights back on - he's white! He has a slimy white coating all over him (mostly around his head) He's swimming really well it seems, in the current, not breathing heavy.
Tested the water, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate - ouch! 80!! doing a water change - I was going to bed, but plans changed!

Is my clown dying?? :(

If you have an anemone in 80 ppm of nitrates, I would get the anem out of there ASAP.
Trates aren't a huge problem to fish although they should definetly be under control.
How often do you feed and how often do you do partial water changes?

+1 solar -- get that nem out. The temp swings might've made your nem sick, and if it dies, it will take down your entire tank. Either way, it's best not to have a nem in such a young tank anyway. But I think the temp swings is bad for the name. Plus yes -- the nitrates. Hence why nems aren't good for new tanks -- tanks will go through a lot of swings the first year, and nems from what I understand are very sensitive. One nem death can bring down an entire tank -- it releases toxins when it dies.

I think your clown has a fungus or bacteria infection of some kind. I agree about the anemone, get it out of there and get your water temperature under control.

Google Brooklynella for the clownfish.You really shouldn't have an anemone in a tank that was just started in March and under PC lighting.

Sounds to me like the temp swings have put a lot of stress on your tank.
Inverts ( including the ones INSIDE the live rock ) cant handle those kind of temp swings.So that COULD explain the high nitrates.

He's actually looking better....??? Could he be "regenerating" slime from not hosting the anemone anymore??
Still acting normal.

Clown had brook. May have also had ich/velvet. Died Sunday morning. :( ...witnessed the "shudder of death"....it was not pretty. RIP Carlos... :(

Back