White coating on live rock

MoeDDS

Reefing newb
I have noticed recently that on my fiji live rock, a white coating is beginning to grow. I have patches of purple coraline algae, but now it seems, at least to me that the hard white coating is beginning to spread. This coating was present in a smaller amount when I pruchased the LR from the FS as I recall. I have searched the web, to see if I could figure out wehat this may be, but I have had no luck. The tank has been running for 6 weeks and the water levels are listed below. Does anyone know what the hard white caoting is? Is it something I should be worried about? Currently there are 12 snails in the tank and 3 fish. Thanks for any advice you may have.
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrites-0ppm
Nitrates-10ppm
pH-8.0-8.2

Could be some type of bleached coral dont know much about this subject though I have it in my tank as well maybe someone else can give you some more insight.

JellyMan said:
Could be some type of bleached coral dont know much about this subject though I have it in my tank as well maybe someone else can give you some more insight.

Jelly, bleached coral is dead or dying, if its growing it can't be bleached.

Coralline algae can be white, depending on the conditions in your tank (usually it's pink or purple).

PS -- you have really good water parameters for a 6 week old tank.

Thank you for the advice everyone. I feel much more at ease now knowing that most likely it is white coraline algae.

Ph should be 8.2 - 8.4 and alkalinity should be 400 to 450 or dkh of 10 to 12.
This will help promote coraline algae growth. Iodine should be tested for also, as well as calcium. keep us posted. good luck with your project.

I think the dimmer the lights you have the whiter it will be (or maybe it's the other way around)??? I heard that once on this forum, hopefully the person that said it first will correct me if I'm wrong.

you dont need alot of light to grow coraline algae it can be grown with tremendous color under regular strip lighting so you may have it backwards.

Back