white film on clownfish

bwaller76

Love my tanks!
OK so my clownfish has had just a minor whiteish film on it for a few days. it does seem to be getting better but my clown is just acting down in the dumps... I have been reading that people give freshwater dips to their clowns and was wondering in this case if it might be something to consider...

Yes you could do a freshwater dip but i would worry that your clown is already stressed and that might put him over the edge.

Can you get pic so we can try and identify it?

Also please list your water parameters (actual numbers please), tank set up and other fish you have in the tank.

Fish usually only get diseased when they are stressed, so its important to identify why they are stressed.

well that's the thing he isn't stressed and nothing else seems out of place parameters... I am going to have my water tested at my supplier today just to make sure all is well and my tests aren't skewed. here is the best pic I could get... it is a light white sheen between stripe 1& 2 toward the top of his body.

2011-02-121325497.jpg

+1 fish...

Doing a freshwater dips is not as easy as it sounds. The water has to be the same temp and PH as your tank. I took the cup that I put my fish in, filled it w/ rodi, and let the cup in some warm-hot water to warm it up, then I had to add ph up, tested the ph, and made sure it matched my tank's ph.

In the end, I lost my fish anyway due to stress. Plus like fish said, you need to find out exactly what you're dealing with first and treat accordingly. Could it just be excess slime from something else?

It sounds kinda like he might have clownfish disease or brooklynella. That whitish film sounds like the excess mucus coat they produced when they have it. But he doesnt have it like ive seen on other fish.

This parasite usually effects the gills first, so has he been breathing heavily or flashing against the rocks and sand?

breathing heavily yes... flashing... once or twice.... she seems to be very protective of one specific corner of the tank...

Hrm...from what I read about brook, by the time they show symptoms, they usually die within a day or two. I don't know. Never experienced it.

yeah she eats well and bites me as normal. I've had her for a year and she has just never really been protective of a specific spot in the tank. Its been more of a this whole tank is mine sort of thing LOL. I did a large water change so we will see how that helps.

Back