White foam on coral

I don't know what it is but it's probably bad. It looks like it's going to prevent it from getting light and will smother it. I don't suggest trying to scape it off because if it's a fungus then it might spread to the other corals. It might do that anyway so I think you should put in a quarantine. Don't need all of your corals infected...:(

I would pick it off with some tweezers. If it's a sponge, it looks to be pretty fast growing. If it's a fungus, you need to give the corals a dip.

I would pull it out. Get as much off by hand as you can out of water. If it is sponge the air should help to kill it. Then dip it in an iodine solution for about 8 minutes. Rinse with RO and put it back in the tank. Keep an eye on it, you may have to do it more than once.

Well I did a fresh dip for a minute before putting it in the tank. I dont know what this thing is Richard sent it to me its just something he plucked out of the ocean. I dont want to kill the sponge if thats what it is. If its a fungus....ewww

Ok the white continued to grow so I decided to remove the plant. The white foam was a thin layer that easily started to come off so I moved very slow. Upon getting it out of the water there was a stench like you wouldn't believe! Like a dead creature!!

Now it appears that it is all over my rocks and spreading fast.

I try to search the symptoms but find nothing I am freaking out right now.

Well i guess the good news is it is easily removed, but maybe you could post it somewheres on an ID site so you know what it is?

Wow, I missed this ... I had a dead gonoi skeleton that had this stuff growing on it last week. I left it for a couple days but it seemed to keep growing. Two days ago I took the rock out and chiseled the whole skeleton off. So far, I haven't seen it anywhere else in my tank.

Back