White marks on firefish

Jp28

Reefing newb
Hey guys I got a firefish about 5 weeks ago, after spending 2 weeks in qt I added him to the tank and he has seemed fine. This morning when I was feeding my fish I noticed on the left side of my firefish these white markings, the right side of him has nothing like it. It doesn't look like a film more like a scar but I can't tell for certain, hes eating fine and very active. I have been testing all the levels and everything seems fine. Could this be ick or maybe something else? I will keep trying to get a better pic but I hope these help for now.

It's very hard to tell from the pics. Does it look like grains of fine sugar or dust? That's what ich looks like -- pretty distinct spots. If he is eating fine and active, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the fast replies, and sorry about the pics I need to get a better camera. It doesn't look like dust or sugar, the spots only seem to show up when hes in direct light at the top of the tank. I think I will just keep an eye on it for now and if they get larger or I notice any strange behavior I will move him to QT and post again.

Right now I only have 3 blue/green chromis and the firefish. It has been schooling with my chromis and I could see them pecking at it just like they peck at each other. I haven't witnessed it happen yet but I will keep an eye on them and see if they do.

I had a purple firefish with a white stuff eating away at his fin about a month ago and it was getting progressively worse. It was not ich. I sprayed him with Kick-ich which is an anti-fungal and did some aggressive water changes. He got better after that.

Just to update on the little guy, the marks faded from sight about a day and half ago. I did catch him digging out a little cave under some rock for his home and that might have caused the marks. Thanks everyone for your help and ideas. :sfish:

Back