White mites and die off

TONY10664

Reefing newb
I've had a 48 gallon tank for 6months and all was going well added live rock, hermit crabs, snails, green crabs, red shrimp, coral and then later clown fish, one tang, rases, and then an angel fish. All bought from the same store and they're very knowledgeable and helpful. After adding the angel fish it came down with white spots and rapidly before we knew die off occurred with all the fish one by one before we could control it. Our crabs, snails, coral are all thriving now and it's been several weeks. We have an over abundance of white mites on the glass and on the live rock and I'm wondering if that's an infestation of something bad or are these good and just mutiplied because of the die off. I want the tank to ctcle before introducing more fish to eliminate whatever caused the die off. Do you have any suggestions for something to eat the white mites and are they harmful? Any suggestion would be great. Thank you Tony

six line wrasse. but since you lost all fish, you need to do a water test to make sure your water parameters are all good. personally I would not add any more fish until I could keep everything thats left alive for 3 months. just my opinion. for the amount of animals you had in the system before the die off, you pushed it a bit fast. it should have taken you at least 6 months to just add that many fish in that size of system considering the age of the system. sorry for your losses. the little white bugs are part of the food chain and a six line wrasse would be a good additiion. hope this helps.

Thank you!

Thank you for your advice. I believe we did move too fast since as newcomers we were too eager. We've been very persistent with testing and maintaining the water quality. I was concerned about the mites and other things that look like jellyfish of some sort coming out only when the lights are off. Thank you again for your help! Tony

Back