white mushrooms?

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I have green tipped fuzzy mushrooms in my tank. Two of them are turning whitish. How come?

P9140007-1.jpg

They get enough light, but I have never seen this. Any ideas?

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I've seen this before with hairy mushrooms and then seen them come right back to normal.I always thought on mine when they did this they were consuming the nutrient from zooxanthellae for metabolic function.

Heck,I don't really know...I just throwing stuff out there.

Ha!
I figured you would understand.

Seriously,corals do use by products from the symbiotic algae for their metabolism.Maybe that one schroom is telling you to feed me.

maybe they cant place there foot in the right spot that happened to mine once then it died. Maybe somethings attaking it

I finally get to post again now that we have internet access at home! My days of lurking are over, and I can once again start annoying people:bounce:

I've seen shrooms do this - I've had them detach, get lost under my rockwork for awhile, then re-emerge white, from lack of light. On the other hand, in my wife's 40 gallon she has a shroom that has turned white for no good reason at all - it doesn't seem to be dying, per se, but I'll let you know if anything changes.

a lot of times that is caused by stress. how long have you had them and (if not long) how were they acclimated to your lighting (what kind do you have) ??

about a month. they were under T-5's at the LFS, but I am not sure the wattage

-Dr Marco :sfish:

it could be stress from being under a different amount of light. it can happen when there is a jump in either direction (higher or lower). i had some of the exact shrooms do that when i added them to my frag tank with halides from a tank with PC's. just a thought, but it could just be stress that had nothing really to do with anything that you did. they will pobably pop back to life very soon (although it took mine a couple of months).

Back