White Splotches

kevdogg

Reefing newb
Over the past week my Emperor has been showing white splotches. It starts out really bad in the morning and fades over the day. It looks a little like Marine Velvet but no other symptoms are present, (fast breathing, loss of appetite, flashing). Also none of my other fish are showing any signs. I have not witnessed any aggression other then the normal little spats, instigated by the Emperor.

I feed Spectrum pellets soaked in angelixer and vitamins every morning. Everyday a new algae sheet is put in the tank, depending on if it is eaten or not I put a 2nd sheet in when I get home from work. Then in the evening I feed alternating, Mysis, Angel Forumla, Emerald Entree and chopped clams. Then every once in a while I will throw in a piece of raw shrimp for my puffer.

Temp 79.2
Salinity 1.024
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ~0 (slightly darker then 0)

Im looking for any ideas or suggestions as what to do. Removing all my fish and treating for Velvet is not an option and I'm really not convinced that it is MV.

I dont think its marine velvet either because it sounds like the fish itself is losing color and not something covering the scales.

My only guess is that it could be related to food, so try feeding the angel formula more often and perhaps more of it. If he is in the phase where he is changing from a juvi to adult, he could need more the special nutrients found in his natural diet to make all the required pigments.

He is fully changed to adult coloration now. Also he really does not really go for the angel specific foods. That is a big reason that I do soak all the pellets in the angelixer everyday.

7 am

100_2827.jpg

This evening at 9 pm its all clear...

Does its prominence have anything to do with the level of light? Is he flashing or rubbing on rocks? They're flat right? Not raised?

Does its prominence have anything to do with the level of light? Is he flashing or rubbing on rocks? They're flat right? Not raised?

Its really bad when the lights first come on then slowly fades as the day goes on. No flashing. The splotches are flat and almost appear to be part of his scales.

Now I do know that colors fade with no light and I do see a difference in the intensity of the coloration from morning to night but the splotches are something different.

That's just weird. If no one here can help, I suggest asking the guys at wetwebmedia.com Their team includes none other than Bob Fenner (He's responded to a couple of my emails). Make sure you include everything in your email -- parameters (numbers -- not just "fine"), tank specs, livestock, etc. All the symptoms (and nonsymptoms like the fact that he's not flashing). They've always been able to help me in a pinch, and usually respond within 24 hours.

Well I got up this morning and found my Emperor has ich... Crap Something is really going on still waiting on a response from WWM. Plugged in my heater for the QT tank so it should be ready to go this afternoon. Either way I think I'm going to pull him out for better observation.

Everyone else is doing fine. Got word back from wetwebmedia.com I got passed on to Mr Bob Fenner due to the unusual nature of my issue. (glad I can be special) I'm still kinda wading through the response that I was given but it seems like he is suggesting that I treat for a external parasite with a much stronger medication then copper. I'm on the fence still if I should go ahead and order the meds or wait it out a little longer. I don't want my fish to suffer but I'm not totally convinced that the meds will help.

On another note the "ich" is GONE! WTF I'm as confused as ever. What type of disease comes and goes like this? I hope to figure this out soon.

It could just have been a passing stressful day, kinda like a bad hair day. Regardless, i would start the copper treatment while we figure out what else to do.

Yeah I saw their response on their site. They didn't really answer what the white splotches could be though, did they? Unless they're saying it's probably from malnutrition, since the other fish weren't showing the same symptoms. Good luck on the qt...although, remember that once you put him back in, he'll just get sick all over again IF it's some sort of parasite, since it's already in there. Maybe just qt for the sake of fattening him up? Plus no one in there will bully him and he can recover, if that's all it was.

I just checked out the response from WWM on their site. I have to say that I had more interactions with Bob through the day that didn't make it to the site??? I guess they got to a point that they needed edit to try and keep things clear... Oh well.

Emperor is doing good still eating really well. I got him in the QT tank right now, the splotches don't seem to be as bad as they were a few days ago. I haven't started treating with anything yet because I am waiting on a Quinine Sulphate medication order to come in. I don't want to stress the fish out to much and over treating for symptoms I think is worse then letting him be for now. It may be next week some time when the meds arrive these ones are not readily available. Fingers crossed.

Back