White sponge? and...

So there was a bunch of white stuff on a LR i got a few weeks back and it seems to be growing up.....on the same rock its covered in red stuff and seems to be spreading to my other rocks. Any ideas what this stuff is? I also got this ricordia today for 20 bucks...not sure which kind it is...?

Attachments

• 2010_0802DoorCounty20100351.jpg
    2010_0802DoorCounty20100351.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,189
  • 2010_0802DoorCounty20100357.jpg
    2010_0802DoorCounty20100357.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,175
Is the red stuff slimy, soft and velety, or hard?

That looks like a yuma ricordea. $20 is a good price for that, and it looks great!

Not slimey...in between hard and soft and kinda velvety i guess...is the white stuff a sponge? and is it good or bad?

The mushroom looked way different under the store light...i brought it home and it was 100x's better looking.

I had a couple of those white things growing on the glass a while ago, eventually they just went away on their own, I was never 100% sure what they were, but I'd say sponges.

Some amount of algae is normal in a new tank, and unavoidable. When it comes down to it, algae needs nitrates and phosphates to survive and thrive. So it is a water quality issue. But like I said, a new tank will go through cycles of various stages of algae. The best you can do is wait it out, try to get a CUC that eats it, keep up with water changes and keep your water quality good.

Back