white spot on acro?

Brian_G

overly obsessed
so on a piece i fragged off my scripps acro about a month ago, I saw a white dead spot. the rest of the coral looks good and the mother colony looks good. what could have caused this spot. there are no corals even close to it. I dont think its aefw. (wishful thinking) .sorry about the poor quality of the picture, I dont have a cool camera like biff is getting.

100MEDIA_IMAG0003.jpg

yeah I looked it up. But i cant seem to find out how fast it spreads or how to treat it. The rest of the coral looks great and nothing in the tank looks affected(or effected?). It doesnt look like its gotten any bigger. Im puzzled.

When an SPS is RTN,ing you can actually see the flesh being blown off the skeleton in most cases.ANd if not,you can see the bare skeleton more every day.RTN happens fast.

oh okay. then its not RTN. its not moving at all.

all water peram are normal.

its just odd how it just got one random white spot. I will just have to keep an eye on it and take it from there. It will encrust right back over it as long as the spot doesnt get any bigger. we will have to see. The rest looks great. It really looks like a sting from another coral, but there isnt anything close...

So its not RTN, but i have little white spots popping up on all the tips of that acro, and its starting on the other colony as well.

just on the tips of the branches, and the polyps on the other colony are still fully extending, just the stalk is dying, and its definitely dead, not bleached.

its just the stalk on the very tips too. the rest looks good.
any idea?

but its not growth, its actually where it used to be blue. :(

( I will try to describe this, sorry if its in weird words) the spot that is white had the "skeleton lines"? of a dead piece of coral?
like when you look at a dead piece you can see very small lines on it. I dont know if you know what I mean.

Can you get a pic Brian?

It sounds like new growth to me too.And I have seen those blue tips go completely white when the coral is growing quick.

soo...i got fed up with trying to get a good shot with a crappy camera so, I went and got a Nikon d5000 :) with 2 lenses!

so in a few min i will try it out and see what i can do real fast before the lights go out

haha yes i did! im so excited :)

im uploading my shots that i did real fast with no practice, so if they look good then a 3 year old can shoot with this camera

Dammit now I'm furious because you actually got yours in your hands before I did!! I keep tracking my package, it's scheduled to be delivered on Thursday... After I've left town for work for 4 days!! :grumble:

Where did you buy it from?

okay.so its a little hard to see the white spots im talking about because of the actinic lighting. but in 2d sense, its the "3rd tallest" branch.

DSC_0002.jpg

Back