White spots on Mandarin Goby

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
I'm seeing white spots near the edges of my MD's pectoral and back dorsal fins only. There have been no spots on his body. I also, have a Yellow clown goby and a six line wrasse neither of which have any spots. I've read that ich is more likely to attack the body before the fins. Also, MDs, being scale-less, are generally not prone to ich. I'm thinking the white spots may be natural for the MD or its some other condition like fin rot. Any guesses?

(BTW, don't take this the wrong way, but if I so much as mention my MD, I get a dozen replies that my MD will starve in my tank. I've had him 4 months and he's fatter now than when I got him, I watch him eat one of several foods every day. I have to scrape the pods off my glass twice a week.)

Mandarins are not prone to ich, as you stated. However, ich sometimes becomes visible on the fins first, before it's visible on the body because the transparency of the fins makes the spots easier to see. It's hard to say what it is without pics, there are so many diseases that manifest themselves as spots. Check out this page in the meantime:

www.chucksaddiction.com

Check out Articles, then Diseases.

Re: White spots on Mandarin Goby HELP!

Today the edge of his pectoral and tail fins started to show whitish rot along the edges. The last photo shows some white dots on the edges of his upper pectoral fins but he fans these fins very fast and they are hard to photo. There are more of the white spots on his fins than can be seen on the photo. Also, becuase Mandarin Gobies are covered with a slime, some white sand will stick to their skin. Some of the white pecks are sand. I am still doubting its ich becuase all the many photos of ich I've seen don't look like this --but then I've never had a tank disease.

IMG_5682_1024x768.jpg

IMG_5683_1024x768.jpg

IMG_5691_576x768.jpg

IMG_5692_1024x768.jpg

IMG_5694_1024x768.jpg

The one I have now has been with me for over 2 years and my last one was with me for over 5 years.I had fish die but never a mandarin.They just don't seem to get diseases of any kind,IME.I'm pretty sure it's just debris. The frailing of the lower fin could possibly just from scrapping the rocks and sand as it looks for pods.Mine has gotten debris and a little frailing of the fins,they always recovered.I'm sure of one thing,she looks nice and plump,like me.

They also list Ich as common with mandarins.Quote ''Treat entire aquarium with a
parasite remedy''.

Look elsewhere for a solution.I don't see any redness common with fin rot.

I did a 40% water change and the fin rot was gone overnight but he has a few white pustules on his skin. I can't catch him. The other fish are fine. I may treat with hypo-salinity and garlic for a few days.

I did a 40% water change and the fin rot was gone overnight but he has a few white pustules on his skin. I can't catch him. The other fish are fine. I may treat with hypo-salinity and garlic for a few days.

garlic wont do anything but stimulate a feeding response, selcon on the other hand is what you want. selcon will boost the immune system

Some advised me to leave him be -this may have been the best thing to do even though the spots were spreading on his fins. He still looked healthy and was eating. After I moved him to a QT tank and lowered the salinity to just 1.017 he was dead in a day. I'm bummed cause so many said he would starve in my BC29 and I actually fattened him up. I'm setting up a QT tank!

Back