White Spots

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
I just noticed that my Yellow Tang has white spots all over him. I am assuming it is ick. However, he is eating and is very active.

Is there something else that could cause the white spots? Or do you guys think it is ick? Do I need to pull the fish out, or is it possible to let it run its course?

Any information is appreciated.

i believe it has more than a spotty look to it. like textured and coming off of the fish instead of just a spot, though im not sure what it would be. if it is a parasite i would reccomend a cleaner shrimp. dont know if its too late now or not but even for future they are wonderful and always make your fish clean

It's probably ich. Removing the fish might cause it even more stress. If it's eating, I'd say leave it in the tank and let it try to fight it off on its own. As LionFish said, adding garlic extract to the food will help. BUT if you leave it in, you also risk transferring the ich to your other fish. Whether you want to take it out to treat it or leave it in is up to you.

If it's a medium to large sized yellow tang, it may keep getting ich over and over from being in a 55 gallon tank. The small size might keep it stressed.

It's probably ich. Removing the fish might cause it even more stress. If it's eating, I'd say leave it in the tank and let it try to fight it off on its own. As LionFish said, adding garlic extract to the food will help. BUT if you leave it in, you also risk transferring the ich to your other fish. Whether you want to take it out to treat it or leave it in is up to you.

If it's a medium to large sized yellow tang, it may keep getting ich over and over from being in a 55 gallon tank. The small size might keep it stressed.

The tang is on the smaller side.

Thanks for the advice guy/girls. I am going to keep the fish in the tank and see what happens.

I cannot remember what other fish you have in your tank. How stocked is the tank? if your tank is full of valuable fish, I would remove the fish, yellow tangs are pretty common and inexpensive. I would not risk infecting the rest of the fish with Ich (post a pic if you want to so we know for sure, if it is flukes, you need to do a freshwater dip). If your tank is not full or expensive or less than hardy fish, leave it and watch to make sure it keeps eating. Spirulina seems to increase their immune system as well to fight off the Ich. Best of luck to you.

-Doc

Back