White star fish?

necat

Reefing newb
Hello all! This morning first thing I turned on the lights and noticed a very small white star fish looking animal. It did not like the light and quickly hid, moving like an octopus. Any clues what this is? I will try to catch it on camera tomorrow am. I've also found a bristol worm and small crab as hitch hikers as well! I've read all are ok for reef?

Sorry this is a horrible pic. I will take better ones if I can ever catch them out. They are always hiding. (crab and star fish alien)

Attachments

• crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 707
Google Asterina Star and see if that matches the description of the starfish you saw

Thanks for the lead. I googled that and that is not it. I did find a "micro brittle star" however that looks really close. I didnt get a good id this morning as he was sneaking away. Only saw about a couple of his legs but they definitly look like micro brittle stars. Others are saying they are reef safe and good cleaners? You have any experience with them?

1372839593_8ad69d9293.jpg

A friend gave me 10 of the little white ones when I started. As they matured they gained a little color and multiplied to around 50 or so. Pretty cool little stars and harmless. Wait till you see them spawn and they cloud the tank up...you'll be sayin' "EEEEW, I stick my hands in there". LOL

As for the crab....if the front claws are spoon shaped it's an emerald. If they are black and very pointy...get it out while you can! Black pointy claws and hairy is bad news when it comes to crabs.

A friend gave me 10 of the little white ones when I started. As they matured they gained a little color and multiplied to around 50 or so. Pretty cool little stars and harmless. Wait till you see them spawn and they cloud the tank up...you'll be sayin' "EEEEW, I stick my hands in there". LOL

Im debating getting gloves to work the tank with! lol

Back