Who is this hitchhiker??

Prototype220

Reefing newb
Woke up this morning to find this little guy on my sand! First thought it was my emerald molted or something, but it definitely isn't an emerald crab! No new lr added to my tank (all of it came from my 92 which is 4 years old), and it's too big to have come on a coral frag which all have been added in the past two weeks. So it had to have been hiding in the lr all this time! Don't think it's a bad one cuz nothing is dissappearing or getting damaged. However, he's QT'd right now just in case...ID PLEASE!!!!

43da1c9a.jpg

I have been Googling all Day and went to two lfs and still no id on this Guy! Guess I'll just put him back and watch closely :dunno:. He hasn't bothered nething yet so maybe he'll be ok.

+1 Chuck

It looks like if has pointy claws, which tend to indicate that it is a predator. To me it looks like a xanthid crab that fast linked to.

I found out it is a "guard crab", but still not sure exactly what kind. Although he has decided he likes my xenia! I'll leave him alone. It's not a problem until its a problem. I don't have anything major in there yet to be too concerned about, and if he starts to cause a problem I'll promptly remove him, but thank you for the input :)

Upon further investigstion, I have found my crab to be a Xenia crab! He lives in, off of, and protects only Xenia. So far he does not seem to be s problem to the Xenia or any other inhabitants in the tank. Matter of fact, he never leaves the xenia! I have read 50/50 good and bad on these little creatures. Some say they damage the Xenia, others say they "farm" it. I have actually witnesses him "caressing" his crop, but never seen him eating it. Im anxious to see what he actually does, if anything else. He has little pointed pincers, but he also has those little paddle like hind feet. Anyone else here had any experience with them?

Back