Whoa Mamma!

messiah023

Reefing newb
So, about a year ago I bought a baby black brittle starfish. As soon as I put him into the tank, he retreated into the rockwork, never to be seen again....
Every once-in-a-while, you would see partial tentacles coming out of the rocks feeding.
It's been about six months since I saw the brittle COMPLETELY........

Until tonight!!

That sucker is HUGE.

He must have at least a 7" (tentacle)span.
Considering he was a tiny baby when I got him, he has more than quadrupled in size.

Here are some pics. Notice the size against my 3" blenny on the right of the tank.

YIKES!!!

brittle_01.jpg

brittle_02.jpg

i dont think he killed them
I would actually say there is a really good chance that it killed them unlike cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp as you know peppermints are extremely reclusive and what britles will do sometimes is lift their bodies on top of the underside of a rock and when an unexpecting meal climbs underneath it sits down on it. basically lifting its body off the surface with the end of its legs. I have 2 brittles and used to have 5 peppermints that killed hunderds, yes hundreds of aptasia. and out of nowhere they all disappeared.

BTW as you may have seen in last potm or in my build thread we have the same exact type of benny. well lets make that had one day mine just came up missing and it makes me soooo sad because it was such an awesome fish.

Alex,

Sorry to hear about your loss....

The starry blenny is my favorite in the tank. So much personality.
He was my first fish and the only survivor of the "great February tank crash".
My kids named him Grampie as it looks like he's got some ol' gray whiskers.

Alex,

Sorry to hear about your loss....

The starry blenny is my favorite in the tank. So much personality.
He was my first fish and the only survivor of the "great February tank crash".
My kids named him Grampie as it looks like he's got some ol' gray whiskers.
yeah it pretty sad :( makes me want to get another. Im not sure what the heck happened because I looked EVERYWHERE like walls floor stand pvc pipes overflow EVERYWHERE. he just disappeared

Looks nice and healthy. I have two in my tank. One comes out all the time during feeding. The other one I haven't seen it for awhile now.

Back