Why are my fish killing themselves?

kevvin27

Reefing newb
My tank sits on my large computer desk and on the floor beside the desk is my laundry hamper. I had noticed my six line wrasse MIA last week but hadn't had time to watch the tank to see if he was just hiding. So I did a load of laundry that same day and when folding it on my bed found the head of my six line wrasse along with afew other roasted body parts. Now I just got home and turned on my computer and settled in and something caught my eye behind the moniter and it turned out to be the poor little dried up body of my yellow coral goby. WTF? Is there any explanation for fish jumping out of the tank? I swear Coral Goby's don't even jump at all let alone out of the tank. I could kind of understand the Wrasse because it's a faster more agressive fish but honestly wtf is going on?

You really need to test all water parms: Salinity, ph, alk, temp, nitrates to start. Also, this sounds like maybe you got electric current running in your tank. Stress, sounds or sudden light will make fish jump.

Already checked parameters and they are all good. How do I test for current? And the light or sound could be an issue. I was always told not to put a cover on a reef tank but I'm not sure why. Do you think it's advisable to put a cover on? It could also be my territorial clownfish chasing them. They've jumped out at my hand on occasion if I put it over the water surface.

I was always told not to put a cover on a reef tank but I'm not sure why. Do you think it's advisable to put a cover on? It could also be my territorial clownfish chasing them. They've jumped out at my hand on occasion if I put it over the water surface.
You can put a cover on a reef tank, you will just have to do somthing in the summer to help cool it down. I have a reef tank with a cover and I have to use small fans to cool my tank down in the hot afternoons.

Any fish can jump for any reason.
If your clown does a lot of chasing,then thats probably what happened.

You don't want to put glass or acrylic covers over your tank because they will trap heat and also block light from your corals. People have made covers using screen material and egg crate though. They'll both allow light through and won't over heat your tank.

You don't want to put glass or acrylic covers over your tank because they will trap heat and also block light from your corals. People have made covers using screen material and egg crate though. They'll both allow light through and won't over heat your tank.

How does glass or acrylic block light?

because when your water evaporates, it will start leaving a film on the glass that will block your light

Ohhhh ok that makes sense. If I cleaned it regularly though that would eliminate the problem...although add another thing to the list of pain in the ass things to clean...

:shock: WHAT ?

Even though they are clear, they still block some of the light. For most tanks, not enough to make a difference. But in low light tanks, it may make a difference. Not only do tops block light and cause the tank to heat up, but they can also inhibit gas exchange at the surface of the water and cause oxygen problems.

If you are going to use a top, definitely go with screen or mesh -- a material that breathes.

If you are set on a glass/acrylic top use acrylic and drill holes to allow heat to escape and transfer of oxygen to the water surface...it will also lessen salt buildup on the glass as the air pocket won't be as humid and water shouldn't be condensating on the top as much, if any.

Great information and advice from everyone. However you can't rule out that some fish just jump because of unexplained reasons or that they are just jumpers. Some fish are notorious.

Back