why does this always happen to me

lilduud

Reefing newb
well i know why and its because i dont have two timers for my lights....
last night i stayed out and at around 6 i called my mother to ask her the favour of turning off my metal halide.... welll after a VERY LARGE miscommunication we thought the situation was under control.. in reality she turned off my actinic lights and fans, rather than my metal halide and fans... mind you the halides are not on a timers so they must be turned off by hand. well i fell asleep and she had tried to call when at 830 the lights were still on... this morning i came home to an 85 degree tank [amazed it wasnt higher] a deader than dead maze coral and an entire tank of shocked corals. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME! FML im getting another dam timer.....
OH also the heater that i put in with the live rock i purchased is busted today... filled with water [yes its a fully submersible one (aqueon)] and the water "bit" me when i touched it which means there was a substantial amount of stray voltage in there... as of now i can not tell if it was zapped and became dead rock... all in all this morning sucks.

i realize the title is pretty ignorant and this happens to everyone... its just ironic that the light thing happened to me again. and right when im setting up a new tank one gets fried... very encouraging.

i got the new version of the dule coralife timer for my fw tank only had it for about 2 months now and it seams to be working good sofar. but ive gone though about 4 of the old versions because they were cheep so im still waiting to see if this one is any better.

The best thing I've found (short of a controller) is to just buy the cheapo $5 timers at the hardware store. Plug your light in, set it, and you're good to go.

i got the new version of the dule coralife timer for my fw tank only had it for about 2 months now and it seams to be working good sofar. but ive gone though about 4 of the old versions because they were cheep so im still waiting to see if this one is any better.

I use the single digital timer/powerstips. The dual timer powerstip is not made to rum 250MH lighting. I went through 3 of them before calling Coralife and asking them. They told me that the dual powerstip is not intended to run the 250's, thus causing issues with the powerstip and or timer. They sent me 2 single digitals free for my trouble.

I also run the 5 dollar timer for my lighting on my 24 Nano, and it wors just fine for that set-up.

Get the marineland stealth heater. They are fairly new but have been working great for me. They are shatter proof and very rugged. I think they are made of liquid crystal polymer. It's a very high temp thermoplastic.

+1 on the cheap timer and the marineland heaters. I had 2 other heaters go bad in the space of a couple weeks, then I bought all stealth heaters... haven't had an issue since then.

My tank went to 85 the other day. This saved me:

p-906124-12899-fish-supply.jpg

Damn that sucks lildud, im sorry to hear about your loss, you have such a great looking tank. But you should know when u put the responsibility of thousands of dollars(your tank) in other ppl hands shit happens. This will make you anti up for some timers and you wont have to worry about it again. Tough lesson learned but your like me, you gotta learn the hard way....i still need another timer for my moonlights because i leave them on 24/7...not a big deal or anything but i think reading this will make me go buy one for them. Best of luck to you and don't give up.

PS. Be greatful you really didnt get shocked badly. Next time go with an unbreakable heater!

Back