Why feed my clown?

Beastlyness 22

Reefing newb
My clown fish is about 5-6 months now and hes getting good at eating pods, worms, and what ever is flying through my tank. Do I even need to feed him? I got some bad hair algea right now and it would be helpfull if I didn't have too.

IMO you should definitely keep feeding him. After 5-6 months a tank is still not really fully established, on top of that it's only 10g and I don't think can support a fish without supplemental feedings. You can cut back and only feed twice a week or so to help with the water quality though.

Also, you don't want them eating only live food, because when the live food becomes scarce, they won't eat anything else, and could starve to death.

are you saying the tank is 5 to 6 months old or have you had the fish that long,seems like some people are getting mixed up,if you had the fish that long then how old is the tank?

Well it says the experience in the hobby is 22 January 2011 so I'm guessing from that the tank is only 6 months old.

oh tank is six months old. The fish is a ocellaris clown and I got him when the tank stoped it cycle after the first month. I got frozen, and freeze dried mysis. I just give him a SUPER small pinch of the freeze dried every couple days. Like I said im trying to keep my phosphates down.

Feeding dried food will only add to your phosphate issues if you have one because of the preservatives. Plus frozen foods are far healthier.

Feeding dried food will only add to your phosphate issues if you have one because of the preservatives. Plus frozen foods are far healthier.

Why would dried cause more phosphates? I can control the proportion sizes alot better, when I feed frozen majority of it just gets stuck in my cheatomorpha.

I think that little stuff is just broken down particles of the food, i dont rinse either. The frozen isnt made to last for years in the open, so its not coated in stuff like the dried

Back