Why I am so horrible...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Creben, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Creben

Creben aspiring reefer

heres a thread dedicated to our stories of plain old messing up...
    share your low times so we all can still feel human :D

my first contribution:
    my brand new mushroom wouldn't attach to anything and spent the day rolling around my tank. late at night i decided to glue him to a rock. while i was doing this, i was holding a flashlight in my mouth (i didn't want to wake up my parents), and he slipped out of my hands and onto the floor. although i failed gluing him, i did succeed in gluing my thumb to the rock. so now with flashlight in mouth, and rock on thumb, i desperately try and try with my free hand to pick the slimy thing up and get him back in the tank before i finally get him in. now i just hope he survives my noobiness.

tell me more about you!

Creben, Feb 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Creben

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

One Saturday morning I was doing my tank maintence.Did the water change,cleaned the skimmer,plugged everything back up,and sat down with a cup of coffee.An hour later I heard my return pump gurglin.I go to check on it and found that I'd left the cup off my skimmer.There was about 15 gallon of saltwater in the carpet.:shock:
    Needless to say,that wife was NOT happy.

yote, Feb 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Creben

Piratefish SPS Freak

Dude, that is funny!!!

Piratefish, Feb 8, 2011
  4. Creben

dcantucson

Two Big ones in which I lost almost everything on one (the heater) and completely lost everything on the other (tank drain).

1) Using one 1000 watt heater instead of 2 smaller ones. Controller stuck and the tank reached 95* for a day and a half. Almost a complete loss on corals, fish survived.

2) Not checking my CHECK VALVES! Especially when I thought something was wrong. Then: During a thunderstorm, electricity went out and almost the entire tank drained. 99.9% loss.

dcantucson, Feb 8, 2011
  5. Creben

dcantucson

Ha! Good story Ben. :lol:

dcantucson, Feb 8, 2011
  6. Creben

Creben aspiring reefer

ahh man, thats horrible! that reminds me of one more.

i was doing my first water change, late at night again. i put the bucket on top of the tank and was siphoning it in, trying to keep the salinity change slow. i was sitting admiring my tank when the bucket falls over perfectly on my lap. i was soaked, as long as everything else sitting around me! but thats not all...
    i went to change and grab towels forgetting that the siphon tube was still in the tank, siphoning everything into the living room floor!
    oh how i love this hobby... :D

Creben, Feb 8, 2011
  7. Creben

Creben aspiring reefer

ahh man...! that makes me sad

Creben, Feb 8, 2011
  8. Creben

dcantucson

I don't know how many times I've wet the floor when I've been filling the 5 gallon jug with RODI water. Start filling it up and then forgot about it. Oops.... More water on the floor than in the jug many times.

dcantucson, Feb 8, 2011
  9. Creben

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

Turn on my RO/DI to top off my sump....and leave for work...I've never flooded...But I've dropped some serious salinity on more than one occasion.

PRC, Feb 8, 2011
  10. Creben

Creben aspiring reefer

Biff, d2mini, little_fish... where are your stories? are you human too!?

Creben, Feb 8, 2011
  11. Creben

Hiker4twenty

About 5-6 months after I started off in the hobby I went to my first frag swap. I went buck wild and dove in head first into the land of SPS and bought 12 frags. I had them doing well and growing in the tank for about 2 months and then read about dosing calc and alk. Being a total noob I dosed way too much and killed all but 2 of the 12 frags.

Hiker4twenty, Feb 9, 2011
  12. Creben

little_fish Moderator

I havent really done anything horrible yet, or at least horrible enough to remember it.

But i did almost kill my pom pom crab this afternoon. I was cleaning the tiny tank and she suddenly popped up from the cave and i almost stuck her with my tweezers. She scared the pants off of me.

little_fish, Feb 9, 2011
  13. Creben

reeffreak

If Biff told all her horror stories this thread would be 20 pages long or more.

reeffreak, Feb 10, 2011
  14. Creben

Bifferwine I am a girl

Bifferwine, Feb 10, 2011
  15. Creben

AmberSunrise

So far my only big goof was removing all my live rock to try to glue it together in fear that the new sand sifter goby I was going to get would cause a rock slide.

I didn't get super glue gel instead I got gorilla super glue which is NOT the same.

I put the rocks how I liked them started glopping the glue in the cracks and waited about 5 minutes.....NOTHING it wasnt even a little bit hardened so I started to freak out that my LR would be damaged from being in the air too long.

I decided to say screw it and put the rock back in, as is. Well as soon as the glue hit the salt water it started to foam in to hard bubbles and float to the top. I had that crap all in my filter, stuck in the blowers, and although I only had snails and crabs I was worried to death it would hurt them.

I ended up putting all the CUC in a bowl and spent the next hour scooping foamy hard glue chunks out of the tank and off my fingers.

I STILL have it on my index finger nail it wont come off.

But I did find a new snail that I didnt buy when doing this, not sure where he came from LOL

I am still new to this so I am sure I will have more later.

AmberSunrise, Feb 10, 2011
  16. Creben

Creben aspiring reefer

Haha nice Amber! Im glad it turned out ok

Creben, Feb 10, 2011
  17. Creben

KarenJax Certified Master Stylist

Mine would have to be that thread I posted called It Could Only Happen To Me where something like 25 gallons of freshly made salt water from my LFS ended up flooding my Mom's Trailblazer :grumble: it was very...... sloshy

KarenJax, Feb 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question