Why is my Firetail Goby Hiding in a rock?

Fockdaddy

Reefing newb
Just got a firetail goby a few days ago and today I woke up and saw nothing but my clown and my hermit crab in my tank. It's only a 12 gallon tank so the firetail couldn't have gone far. I finally noticed the smallest bit of its tail sticking out of the bottom of the only rock I have in the tank. It has managed to wedge itself in between the rock and the bed of sand. Anyone know why it is doing this? Thanks.

It's a scaredy fish (gets scared easily)...and my guess would be that your clown scared it...especially in a 12 gallon...that's not a lot of room for both of them to have their own space...

FIsh are good at cramming themselves in the smallest spaces. Give him time to adjust. Maybe turn the lights off for a while.

They really are! My Nano Blenny managed to cram itself into a hole when I moved all the rock from my 50 to my 90. He just hung on for dear life, and I never had to chase him around to catch him. After I filled the new tank, he came out and swam around, checking out his new abode. To this day I have no idea how he survived the move. The rocks were out of water for a good two hours as I was aquascaping and filling the tank (maybe longer than that...).

Mine stays hidden most of the day. It is out in the morning waiting to be fed but then retreats back into the rocks. It is in a tank with a yellow clown that bullies the tank. I always thought it was staying out of his way as my purple fin is out most of the day in my bigger tank. Could be he is adjusting or is being bullied by the clown.

Back