Why is my live rock turning white?? NEED HELP!!!!

There's a lot of live stuff in it, you just can't see it yet. Turn out all the lights for a few hours then come back and look at it with a flashlight. And wait a few weeks, you'll have stuff coming out of the woodwork. You never know what you'll find on live rock. It just takes a while for the critters to come out.

Ya I go into my room after the lights have been out for a while and look in the tank with a led light and see all kinds of worms roaming around the rocks. Its neat to see what you find next.

Yeah im starting to see little feather dusters sprouting out and there's also a little crab in one of the deep crevices. I'll keep you guys posted on my results. Thanks for all of your responses, I appreciated. :)

thats just the tip of the iceberg some of your rock could very well contain coral organisms as well I got a piece of rock that had a glass coral in it. congrats on your finds keep us updated.

Well, so far so good...my rocks have not gotten any worse. The only thing im worried about is my puffers now keep picking on the live rocks. I know they are probably trying to wear down their teeth but I hope they will not damage the rocks.

I guess what I was trying to say is that I believe if the rock is not new, your difficulty is most likely water parameters, or if your bulbs are a year old might be time for new bulbs. hope something here helps. (Tip - never add an additive unless you have determined that the system is in need of the additive and you believe the additive will provide the results needed.)

Wow...now I need to leave the lights on for only a few hours because the green algae has exploded in my tank. But the good news is the live rock is starting to get its color back. Yeah I should of measured the calcium level before adding the additives (good tip).

Talking about algae, I am starting to have green algae in my tank.... My rocks turned white as well... I still have some purple in some spots, but lots of my rocks went from purple to white.. Here you go!! We are 2 with the same problem!!! lol.... Can you do anything for the green algae to stop growing??? It even started growing on my gladd.. looks almost like grass... I scraped it today from the front glass, but it s starting to grow on my rocks as well and cover up everything.. it's kind of a brownish-greenish color....

How long do you leave your lights on? What type of lighting do you have? i'm going to start to keep my lights on for 4 hrs instead of 8 hrs.

Oh by the way I finally posted a few pics of my tank.....If you can give me some ideas of what I need to do to improve it it would be helpful. Or tell me what I'm doing wrong that would be helpful too. Thanks

Last edited:
What do you have in the tank? I have two corals and 192watt pcs that I run about 10 to 12 hours a day.

How many tanks you got? The first one did'nt have enough live rock but the later pics looked nice. BTW thats a nice looking puffer.

I only have 1 tank...all the pictures are from the 120 gal. I have a stars n stripes puffer, dogface puffer, panther grouper, and a picasso trigger. You can see the grouper & dogface behind the fat stars n stripes.

Well if you dont have any coral or light needy inverts, I dont think it would matter to cut the light period down.

Bifferwine said:
What kind of lights do you have? How many watts? 8 hours a day is fine. I leave mine on for 12. Most people leave theirs on for 8 to 12.

And she wonders how she can give her rock a six inch part jeez :)

Well the live rock is starting to look better. I've cut my lights to only 4 hours a day now and the algae is under control. I'm planning on adding more live rock (about 30 lbs more) maybe in the next 2 weeks.

I've read somewhere that Canister Filters are not good for reef tanks. Should I take this to heart and upgrade to a different filter? I was planning on getting another Fluval 405 filter.

Canister filter make nitrates a prob so do bio wheels. You can clean it every week or so to help.

Sounds good. I'm glad your algae is starting to die off. Canister filters work okay, but you have to keep them clean. I used to have one on my tank and I was having nitrate problems, I took it off and my nitrates dropped by 10 just from making that change.

Back