why is my Regal Tang scratching himself to hell

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I noticed that my Regal has two noticible scrapes on her that are looking...not so good. what is the deal? Parasite? Dip her? I tried to get a better shot, but she moves a lot

-Doc

PB030013.jpg

Those are some foxy looking foxes you got there Doc...

Have you seen him scratching on the rocks? That's not uncommon behavior for tangs that are beginning to have an infection of some sort.

that is my guess as well. this fish has always been a bit retarded. But then again, most regal tangs seem to have a form of dementia. I have seen erratic swimming patterns and she has hit a rock or two. I am afraid of infection and don't want her to get Ich or some nasty parasite. I have noticed one spot of white near her tail and I am totally paranoid it will turn into an Ich outbreak. I don't put my hands in the tank as i don't want to stress her out. I am just hoping she is clumsy as well and that she heals herself in a week. i will watch for signs of redness and puffyness and if so, I will put her in a dip of melafix daily for a week. unless you all have a better idea?

-Doc

Well think of it If you sepnt Alot of time in your home then Over night get thrown into my house you would stump your toes a few times in the new environment.

Do you Dose Garlic? if not I would give that a try to keep any parasite off the fish, other than that I wouldnt push it with a Regal until it Really shows a Sign of trouble.

I have one blood shrimp, but he doesn't seem to clean the same in this tank as he did on the angels in the last tank. I will get one.

-DOc

shrimp,uv,garlic,vitimins.if you have those you will never have ich

are you serious?this kid is trying to sell people on a uv sterilizer in every thread. research the downsides to a uv sterilizer in a reef tank hibye. if I ever do a strictly FOWLR I might get one, but not in any reef tank

I agree with Redline. It can be really hard to keep corals healthy if you are running a UV sterilizer 24/7.

There is no way you can ever 100% prevent ich. There just isn't. So to say that "if you use these products, you will never have ich" is just incorrect. Ich is an opportunistic pathogen. You can't prevent your fish from bumping into a rock at night, which will compromise its immune system, possibly leading to an ich outbreak, even with vitamins.

Now Doc,I hate to dork out and quote a famous Star Trek character but ''The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few''.God,I haven't use that in a long time.If you suspect the Hippo(Regal to west coasters)than get it out.

Now Doc,I hate to dork out and quote a famous Star Trek character but ''The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the few''.God,I haven't use that in a long time.If you suspect the Hippo(Regal to west coasters)than get it out.

Now I would agree with than on any other fish but with the reputation of a regal not handling stress very well... id say hold off untill you see it getting worse, if it does pul it,

How are the fins looking?

hey now, don't be passing a death sentence on my Dory just yet. He/she/it is still eating like a pig and swimming in the open. I am of the belief that as long as they are eating, they will be OK. Hiding and not eating are sure signs of upcoming death.

-Doc

Back