Why no Tangs for smaller tanks????

fastzorro

Reefing newb
You know, I've heard all the hooha about no tangs in smaller tanks (55 & under). Really, why? I understand they will grow but what will happen that is so bad? If they grow larger will they die of confindment? Will it over whelm the bio balance? What??

Bigger fish need more room to swim. PLain and simple. Lock yourself in a closet for a month and see what it feels like being confinded to a space that does not give you adequet space to really move around.

It's cruel, they are more open water swimmers than some of the smaller fish. Not only is it mean, but it stresses them out, making them more susceptible to ich and other diseases, and will make them more aggressive towards your other fish.
Think of it as taking a greyhound and keeping it in a small apartment with no exercise. A big part of this hobby is really enjoying to appreciate marine life and thinking of a fish tank as more than just a piece of art to look at. Its a biodome!

Bigger fish need more room to swim. PLain and simple. Lock yourself in a closet for a month and see what it feels like being confinded to a space that does not give you adequet space to really move around.

technically you could say that about animals like birds that only stay in a cage, or even rodents that are confined in a cage then as well.

technically you could say that about animals like birds that only stay in a cage, or even rodents that are confined in a cage then as well.

You have a valid point but you also have to think that there's more to keeping saltwater fish than a bird. A bird doesn't live in water so it's not exposed to ammonia, nitrate, nitrite.

Fish are more sensitive to things than birds are and in that case, you need to take special consideration as opposed to other animals.

A bird breathes oxygen just like we do. If I did have a bird though, i'd let it out of the cage for a bit while I watch it.

To be completely honest though, your point does make a lot of sense. It does feel weird especially that other pets people keep are confined to small spaces as well.

Putting in my $.02

I wouldn't keep a bird in a small cage either. Take an animal that normally has miles and miles to fly and keep it in a 3' cage?

Most people who own birds or rodents take them out daily. Otherwise they become stressed, sick and it creates all sorts of bad behavior.

And you are right, lots of people do keep those animals in small cages, but they usually dont know anything about the animal they, and they dont care. They are happy to go out and buy a new one when their current one dies of stress - just like people who put fish in too small of tanks.

I don't know what it is, but most bird people freak me out. They're like closet hippies, and they'll sit there feeding and cooing to the bird while it poops all over their shoulder.

Yeah. Pass.

You can try justify putting a tang into a small tank as much as you want, but nobody will ever accept it except the people who don't care about their inhabitants. People like that don't belong in this hobby.

They have a high metabolism (and a high oxygen demand) and need to swim pretty much constantly. Regardless of how big the fish is, it needs more space, as it was pointed out, they do not stick to one spot on the rocks. Keeping one in a small tank will usually stress it and lead to an early death as it just doesn't have the swimming space it needs.

Ok, so it seems to be a "Character" issue then. Keep the fish happy! You know, going to the chinese restaurant, and even at my local fish store they have these massive fish, I'm talking 2 or 3 pounds and over a foot long swiming around in a 40 gal. tank. You think they qualify for being a tyrant?

Ok, so it seems to be a "Character" issue then. Keep the fish happy! You know, going to the chinese restaurant, and even at my local fish store they have these massive fish, I'm talking 2 or 3 pounds and over a foot long swiming around in a 40 gal. tank. You think they qualify for being a tyrant?

Hahaha. I'm an animal lover, so yes, I think that's unneccessarily cruel.

alright if you can fit a dog in a cage where he can sleep, go to the bathroom, and eat but have no room for anything outher then that and you never let him out to play he wont be happy and why get him? when the dog is a puppy he might have a slight amount of room to run back and forth but when he gets bigger he can just stand there.

you brought up restaurants and fish store, what kind if fish did they have in there? all fish are diffrent, a freshwater oscar is a 12 inch fish full grown but they arnt vary active swimmers min tank size for them is a 55 gal and thats moreso to give them room to turn around in a tank and swim back and forth a little. each fish will have there own needs and tangs need swiming room. a lot of fish stores arnt out there to do whats right for the pets they sell they just want to make a buck and thats why walmarts and petcos sell pacu's a fish that needs somewhere in the ballpark of 400-500 gal tank when at its full size somthing 99.99 % of the people that go in there dont have fish tanks for

Last edited:

I don't keep pets that I can get out and let exercise. I did rescue a hamster from some phuctard that moved out of a house and left the poor little guy. I take him out and play with him all the time, and so does my son.

I think you knew the Tangs in small tanks are not a good idea, and now you want to debate the answers you are receiving from the people here that have been in the hobby for many years. If you don't want to take the advice of the people here that have established tanks for years, and understand the needs of the livestock we put in our tanks, maybe you should check here:
Surgeonfish: Tang Fish, Yellow Tangs and other Surgeons
find a Tang that is recommended for a smaller tank from the experts and biologists, and get him/her. :grumble:

I have owned tiny mice -- I let them out several times for an hour during the day. I have owned up to 4 ferrets (and currently have just 1 now)...he is let out of his cage with free run of the house for several hours per day. The hubby had a parakeet...he let that bird fly around the house most of the day while we were home.

Just cuz a small animal is "fine" confined to a small space all the time doesn't mean it's happy. Do they HAVE to get out everyday? Probably not...but then you might not have a happy bird.

You also have some people who will go against advice and keep a tang in a small tank. He might seem ok, but he certainly isn't happy. I watch my kole tang, and that boy SWIMS nonstop, since the day I put him in the tank. I can see how he would be unhappy in a small tank. I had a yellow tang...same thing...swam nonstop exploring all day long. I spend hard earned money on these fish, and there's no way I'm going to risk having a fish that's "just surviving"...I want a fish that's thriving and happy.

I don't keep pets that I can get out and let exercise. I did rescue a hamster from some phuctard that moved out of a house and left the poor little guy. I take him out and play with him all the time, and so does my son.

I think you knew the Tangs in small tanks are not a good idea, and now you want to debate the answers you are receiving from the people here that have been in the hobby for many years. If you don't want to take the advice of the people here that have established tanks for years, and understand the needs of the livestock we put in our tanks, maybe you should check here:
Surgeonfish: Tang Fish, Yellow Tangs and other Surgeons
find a Tang that is recommended for a smaller tank from the experts and biologists, and get him/her. :grumble:

I never said you kept small animals confined to cages lol. Why are you getting so defensive ? lol

i just think it is a double standard imo is all i am saying , i take advice to people on here they know more then i will ever know and appreciate all the advice they have given me including yourself who has probably given me advice in the past as well . Myself i do have a tang in my 55 gallon tank who is doing fine and happy but he is very small when he grows i will have to get rid of him no questions asked.

I dont see the double standard?

Are you talking about the birds and rodents? Because everyone on here is in agreement that they need to get out and cant stay in a small cage all day.

Back