Why the diff between tanks?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
So before I got back in to the hobby with my new tank, a few years back I had a 150 gallon reef. I was thinking today about how much easier that tank was. Now it was quite big and I didn't have as much free cash to put into it. Plus it was had a much larger start up cost. But what I was noticing was that I had ZERO problems with that tank as far as algae is concerned. When I set it up I only had a few big pieces of live rock because that's all I could afford so I added a little at a time. I waited a month before adding fish like we do now to let it cycle but I never tested anything. I don't remember going through any algae cycles. All water for the startup came from my LFS. I almost never did water changes and in the rare instance I did it was a very small amount, 15 gallons tops. All my water for topoffs and water changes came from the LFS. I kept some softies, lps and fish, no sps. And the tank was lightly stocked. I had a chiller. I did not have a fuge. I had the chiller because I had MH lighting supplemented with PC. I did not have a heater. My sump had no fuge, just the protein skimmer that came with it. I spent very little time on internet aquarium forums.

Differences with new tank:
Now I have a 46 gallon with HO T5 lighting.
No chiller because it's not needed, just a couple fans.
My sump has a dsb fuge.
I test for everything and act on whatever needs adjusting.
Tank is full of rock and has a higher ratio of corals and fish per gallon of water.
I make my own RODI water and mix my own saltwater. TDS meter reads a big fat 0.
I have a controller running temp, lights, ATO, etc instead of a couple cheap light timers.

So what gives?

I wonder if any of the differences contribute to the increased difficulty in keeping this tank vs the old one. I'm very interested to see what happens with my next tank but also wondering if there is anything to be learned from my two experiences so far.

I would have to say that the size of the tank is the factor. Smaller tanks are less stable in general and are more suceptable to parameter swings. Also the higher ratio of fish to water volume. More fish = more waste = more algae

Brian

I'm with ya on the tank size.
But not really buying the fish thing. Even though I'm more stocked, i don't think I'm over stocked. Currently I have one small clown, one firefish (actually, I'm not sure if I've seen him this week), one diamond goby one small chromis and one small foxface that I put in to try and help with the algae. So other than him, I have just a few small fish, a cleaner shrimp and snails.

Ya know,This is actually something I've thought about quiet a bit.
I think that in thus day and age,we over complicate things.
Yeah,I'm sure having a bigger tank helps.But sometimes I actually wander about the other stuff we do to try and make things simple.
With my 75,I set up a 30gal sump/refuge with a DSB.Used only RO/DI that I got at one of the local stores(0 tds on it) and never did get rid of the bryopsis and hair algae.
Now with my 125 (Dont freak Rc:mrgreen:) I'm running a wet/dry with built in skimmer,using tap water for top offs and water changes.I'm still testing alk,cal,and mag,daily and dosing as required.I also cut back to just changing 10% of the water once a month.No hair or bryopsis any where in the tank.Nitrates 0,phosphates 0.
:dunno: But somethings making the difference.:dunno:

Yote, the sump and protein skimmer i mentioned above was a CPR wet/dry.
I doubt that makes the diff, but that's funny. Both our more stable tanks used that type system.

No doubt. I have had more algae with my smaller tank, too. The only problems I have had with the 150 was when I overdosed with something or the heater. That's it.

me to my old tank was a 50 with a wetdry and i had no alage. but i moved to my 75 put in a big sump and ditched the wetdry and i have tons of alage now that i cant get rid of.

James, do you have a dsb fuge in your new sump?
I'm seriously not putting one in my new sump. If anything, I'll have an empty compartment just for ball of chaeto and maybe a few live rock rubble pieces.

i also wonder if when i changed my bulbs i added a 75/25 which is kinda redish pink and thats when the alage really started to grow. hmmmm i wonder but i gut got my uv today and now need to go to the store to get parts to hook it up it is almost as long as my 75 it is 38in long and 2.75in in diameter the inlet and outlet are 2in and i need to make that about 5/8of an inch lots of fun ahead

Back