Why Wont Clown Host

katieface

Reefing newb
I just bought a bubble tip anenome and I have 2 clowns and it has been in the tank for about 5days. The fish look at it, but wont host.
whats wrong? any advice?
thanks

you are too anxious. be patient. it may take a month or better for the clowns to host. feed anenome at least once per week and continue with the clowns as you have before the anenome was added. you may need to watch that the other animals do not take the food from the anenome. watch and enjoy at this time and be patient. you will know in a couple months if there is a problem concerning hosting. 5 days is way too short of a time. hope something here helps. oh forgot, do not overfeed the anenome.

also some types clowns will only host or like certain anemones

False Percula Clown - Amphiprion ocellaris
Carpet anemone
Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
Saddle anemone
Bubble anemone

Percula Clown - Amphiprion percula
Carpet anemone
Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
Saddle anemone
Bubble anemone

"Sebae" Clown - Amphiprion clarkii
Sebae anemone
Long Tentacle anemone
Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
Carpetanemone
Saddle anemone
Bubble anemone

Tomato Clown - Amphiprion frenatus
Bubble anemone
Long Tentacle anemone
Sebae anemone

Maroon Clown - Premnas biaculatus
Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
Bubble anemone
Long Tentacle anemone

Pink Skunk Clown - Amphiprion perideraion
Long Tentacle anemone
Sebae anemone
Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
Carpet anemone
Saddle anemone
Bubble anemone

give it time clowns will host, it just takes time.

Heck my true perc looked at the rose tip anenome and was like :grumble:..

He lives in the frogspawn.... http://www.tuckervolner.com/Pictures/P1010129.JPG

Silly clown..

Honestly just give it time and remember they take to anenomies in the wild for protection... they aren't threatened in your tank as much as in the wild so the process can take longer.

Hope this helps.

Hosting your clown

Is your clown tank raised or from the sea? My tomato knew exactly what to do in about three days being from the sea (having a moray eel, a lionfish and a shark may have influenced him to nest as well - lol). If he is tank raised, he may never nest - especially if it is not an anemone that they would normally settle into. One thing I have heard may be helpful is to laminate a small picture of a clownfish and place it into your anemone so the clown knows where to go. I have never tried it, but a friend of mine got his percula into a bubble that way. Good luck.

-Marco :sfish:

i too have a clown fish... but mine is a tomato clown... and my anemone is a Haitian Reef Anemone... it has been about a week or so and he will only go by it when it is the lights are out and it is dark... i turn on the lights one night and caught him playing.... but he didn't host so i wait also...

Back