Wierd anenome is live rock

Fishboy

Reefing newb
i got some live rock and in one of the big holes i saw some tentacles sticking out. I looked closer to find out it was a small brown anenome thing. Just wanted to know if these are bad?

Without a picture, it's hard to tell, but I would guess aiptasia, which is considered a pest anemone that can sting or even kill your animals. They can grow very quickly and replicate like rabbits. They release spores when threatened. Does it look anything like this:

Aiptasia_sp2.jpg

Get some peppermint shrimp -- they will eat them. I also recommend a product called Aiptasia X -- it's very easy to use and very effective.

You want to get rid of it ASAP. They are really bad pests that will take over quickly.

Do you only have one? And if so, is it on a rock that you can take out of the tank? I recommend treating it outside of your main tank, perhaps in a bucket, so that, just in case it releases any spores, you won't be getting it all over your tank. I've had great success with Aiptasia-X, which you should be able to find in your LFS. Follow the directions carefully. Keep that rock out of your tank for at least a week and watch it carefully for any other aiptasia that have been in hiding. Once you return the rock to your tank. invest in some peppermint shrimp. They like to eat smaller aiptasias and are good to have in case you missed any.

I've tried that -- it doesn't work very well. Other solutions are to inject it with vinegar, boiling water and salt paste. I've tried all those methods as well. You can give it a shot -- it may work for you. But I've found that Aiptasia X is the best bet.

the rock is a 25 pound rock its quite big with alot of corals on it....proboably not best to take out of my tank

I have also tried the vinegar. No go, especially if it is your first time trying to stab one. They tend to retreat right away. They also will get threatened and release those spores into your tank. You can still use the Aiptasia-X by keeping your rock in the tank. Just turn off your flow for about 10 minutes, like the directions say. It's really pretty easy.

Most of us have had a lot of experience wit Aiptasia. Unfortunately they are the one animal that does extremely well in our systems. Get the Aiptasia-X product and kill them. Do not delay in doing this as they will become a hugh problem if left in your tank. After you done get some Peppermint Shrimp and maybe they will eat them when one pops up again.

well i havent been to my lfs and cant make it for a while. so yesterday i tried injecting lemon juice into it. they released of the rock and floated to the top...so so for its been one day havent seen any new ones....ill keep you updated.

Back