Wierd tank pics, this normal?

MikMcgyver

Vlamingi owner 4 life!
Umm, this is wierd.... Am I growing kryptonite? Been cycling for about a week now, Salinity at .024, nitrites off the scale, nitrates off the scale

P1000572.jpg

P1000573.jpg

P1000574.jpg

P1000575.jpg

Apperantly this is algae floating in the tank, too small to see the particles but green enough to make the tank glow a bit.... Anyone seen this before? Had experience with something like this? I was told a uv filter will clear it up in about a hour or so, but dont wanna spend $200 for a sterilizer if it will go away on its own... Thanks folks..

I thought I had just replied to this, but I don't see it, so I'll try agian:

I had the same thing in an established tank, so thick I could not even see the back of the tank. I got a UV sterilizer in the end and it cleared it up in 2 days. I waited about a week (or was it two???) before buying the UV and it showed no signs of clearing by itself - as yours is a new setup you could prbably just wait - I don't think it will do any harm...

If it is an algae im sure a UV sterilizer would fix it right up, but a lot of people said they wouldnt recommend them, but im sure for a short time use to fix something like that it would be fine. They have some that have a built in power head that you drop in your sump for like 50-60$ that I was looking at, but everyone told me not to bother. BTW that does look freaking cool!

I did post it in my build thread, but most don't look over there so I posted in general reef help where there is a lil more foot traffic. I dont know what could be staining it. I am sure it has been there since I filled the tank but never noticed it till I got some lights on it..

Green water huh,its an algae/diatom bloom.Common on new setups when running the lights for too long especially before the biological filter hadn't time to get establish.Lets not jump on th UV thing so quick.Killing the algae spores now will only cause your parameters to go thru the roof even more so.Cut down on the lighting to just a few hours a day,once the cycle is complete do a 25% water change.Eventually it will clear.

i run the light only when im home, just to look at it, see whats forming and such, maybe 2-3 hours a day. I will wait 2 more weeks and see where we are at.. Thanks folks... If anyone wants kryptonite, send me a pm...:mrgreen:

i know that if you get a uv sterilizer its best that you do that if you are only planning a fowlr. If your planning otherwise its not the best idea because you are not only killing bad bacteria and things like that but your going to destroy things that are good for your reef too. uv for fowlr - yes.... uv for reef - no just the 2 pennies out of my loafers

i know that if you get a uv sterilizer its best that you do that if you are only planning a fowlr. If your planning otherwise its not the best idea because you are not only killing bad bacteria and things like that but your going to destroy things that are good for your reef too. uv for fowlr - yes.... uv for reef - no just the 2 pennies out of my loafers

No way, you have loafers:mrgreen:

Mike, what kind of water you using?

All dead rock, seeded with a few pounds of LR that I had in another tank..

I asked because what your going through is more common when using all dead rocks and all dry sand.Give it more time for beneficial bacteria to populate.

You did add something to start the cycle,right?Dead shrimp or fish food?

fish food, flake to be exact. Should i use something different? and how much should I put in?

Fish food is fine,I used all live rock so I only added a pinch twice to the system.

Ocean water?
Really,I hope you took it way,way from shore.The coast is were all the nutrients collect.

I buy it from the LFS here, called Scripps water, i get it for $.35 a gallon... Its transported in from down south....off the coast of san diego i believe...

I appologize for not stating that I use ocean water, not a salt mix, please forgive....:bowdown::bowdown: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: LFS guy said this was normal for dead rock and LS, its the Ocean Direct Caribsea, has a lil packet i dumped in when i added the water...

No apology necessary....I was just f**king around.Ocean Direct,good stuff,me likes it a lot.I guess we're back to letting it finish cycle and seeing where you are at then.You have inspired me to work harder to get the aquascaping just right in my second new system.

I know you were f'in around, the marshall rock makes it east to do, havent really looked at placement very good, just wanted to get the cycle going.

Another question, I will be redoing my nano when the big tank is cycle and can move over my fish and inverts. I want to take all the LS and LR in my tank now and put it in the big tank. Will it cause another cycle? its about 12-17lbs and about 20lbs in LS. I want to mod my nano and then refill it with the old rock and LS. THat should be ok ya?

Back