will 2 clowns and some coral get along with yellow tail damsel

VDfreesince1983

Reefing newb
ive read that damsels are highly aggressive, several stores in my area wont even carry them for this reason. i also saw somewhere that Yellow tail damsels are not as aggressive. would they get along with a Ocellaris pair, and several LPS and soft corals

Hello and Welcome!

the damsel might do ok with clowns because they are in the same family, but i would expect a beating for any fish you put in after the damsel. Also all damsels are awful, yellow tail or otherwise

in my 37 gallon i have a six line wrasse 2 true perc clowns that i added just a week ago and a blue velvet damsel and they all get along great.

I have a blue velvet in my 150 ( wouldnt put it in again) he tried to throw his weight around but was amazed even the tangs put him in his place quick...

What would be a good peaceful and inexpensive fish to put in there I'd like a hippo tang and yellow tang but have no moneys

It depends on how big your tank is. The blue hippo needs a big tank, and the yellow tang is happier with more room to swim as well. A reef-safe wrasse might be nice, or a dottyback. I'm a big fan of my Royal Gramma basslet. He's very friendly, curious, full of personality, colorful, and he was only $15. And from everything I've heard, basslets are friendly until someone tries to pick on them or steal their hidey hole. Then they hold their own.

I wouldnt put any tang in that sized tank, they really need lots of room to move, especially the blue tang. They need at least 180 gals. But a 6 line would do well in there and they are pretty cheap. A dwarf angel would also do well in there, like a coral beauty

i wonder how a tiny flame angel would do in my 75,ive seen some tiny ones that are less then 2 inches,only have 1 occ clown and a flasher wrasse

well i dont know how true or if its a myth that the smaller the angel you get the better chance they wont eat the corals,just heard about it

Back