will 4x54w t5 be enough for 110 gal?

JAG107

Reef enthusiast
I think I've decided on the nova extreme 216w t5 fixture, and I've read that t5 wattage is supposed to be twice as effective as halide or pc wattage. Does anyone think that 216w will be enough, or should I find an 8 bulb fixture? Thanks for helping out the new guy everyone, you've all been very cool!:bowdown:

If you can afford it then go with the Nova Extreme Pro-6x54w w/ individual reflectors.Its about $350 at Dr. Fosters and Smith.The one you mention is still good enough for most corals but IMO if you want sps and clams then you would be better off with the Nova Pro or a Tek fixture.BTW,the Tek(6x54w) will be about $500 after you add the bulbs.They don't include the bulbs.

Whoops,I thought this was on a 55g.You are wanting it on a 110g.The 216w Novas won't cut it on that size tank.Go with the Pro version or better yet the Tek fixture with 8x54w bulb fixture.

T5-HO does not penetrate well below 24''.So sps and the most light needed clams need to be off the sand bed.LPS corals and softies will be fine on the sand though.

I measured my water column today, from top of sand to the water level is 26".
Should I get 10k w/ actinics, or would 14k or higher be better for growth/health?

You get better growth with 10k then 14k bulbs.All the Nova fixtures come half 10k and half 460nm actinic.

If I'm not mistaken,a 110g is 24'' front to back.You will need at least 6 bulbs fixture with individual reflectors-7-8 bulbs would be much better.

or go MH with T5 supplements.

Catalina Aquarium

Comes with bulbs. Individual reflectors. Call them for a better price than what you see on the website. Talk to Jim.

I got a light from these people and I'm VERY happy with it. I bought the 24" unit with 6 bulbs and a remote control. Works great on my 30g tank. My tank is 24" deep, but I'm using a DSB, so it really only has about 18-19" of water in it.

Get the cooling fans for a few extra bucks.

Last edited:
if you are planning on keeping clams or corals near the bottom of a tank that size I would recomend going with metal halides. If you go with flourescents then take the legs off the fixture and set it directly on top of the tank. It will help the light reach the bottom much better.

Stay away from Catalina products they are not good quality and will not last long. I use 2 x 250 watt halides on my 110 and I would suggest the same for you. Get a 12" to 14" canopy and 2 retrofit metal halides with spider reflectors with good 10K or 14K bulbs and IceCap ballasts and you will have a setup that will last a very long time.

Back