Will a 125 be ok on the second floor?

i have a 120 on the second floor of my house and i have a basement to so really the third story. and its fine. you shouldnt have any problems

put it by a load bearing wall and you will be ok the water will weigh about 960lbs plus every thing else you put in it. if you know which the floor joist go you could set the tank so that it sits across as many as possible.

I guess that would depend on the strength of your house and where you place the tank. I highly recommend putting it in the corder of two walls as that is the strongest area.

I was going to get a large tank as well but since i live on the third floor i cannot go any bigger than my 80 gallons. too much risk

yeah, it will all depend on the build of your place. older homes are probably not as strong as newer homes. If your place is 1985 or newer, go ahead

-Doc

I vote for the Yote reply. It is the best suggestion for the strongest result. A cheap magnetic stud finder is less than $5 at a hardware store and running it across the ceiling below will tell you which direction the floor joists are running. A more expensive electronic one $15 will work through the floor upstairs. A 125 gallon tank with just water will run 1400 pounds, and of course the liverock and sand which will displace water is even hevier then the water, so figure 1700 pounds with sump and stand, rock etc. So consider three 265 pound men standing side by side, and that each one is carrying a 265 pound heavy man. I vote for Yotes reply.

Last edited:
Back