Will cured live rock smell a little bit?

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I was gluing something to a rock today and I took one of the smaller ones out, it smelled bad, but not like unbearable. Obviously it's not that strong because even when I put my nose over the water it just smells like sea water. I am battling algae after a mini-cycle however. What do you think?. (Tank has been up for 4 months, has a few fish and some small soft coral frags my friend gave me)

Cured rock should not have a bad smell. The bad smell comes from die-off. It could be dead algea on/in the rock making it stink.

I think there may be some over reaction here.

I've taken fully cured rock out of my display - over 2yrs in the tank - and it smells like ocean. Smells like fish poop. No big deal.

Were you expecting a heavy lavender base with raspberry undertones and a freshly squeezed lemon finish? :shock: It sits in water full of fish poop. It's gonna stink.

I say - relax - glue your corals to the rocks. Take 2 water changes and call me in the morning. :Cheers:

I have to agree with Chris on this one, if your test kit isn't expired and you are reading 0 ammonia, then i'd say don't worry about it. I would attack the algae problem and it's likely that the smell issues will go away with the algae. Good luck.

I think there may be some over reaction here.

I've taken fully cured rock out of my display - over 2yrs in the tank - and it smells like ocean. Smells like fish poop. No big deal.

Were you expecting a heavy lavender base with raspberry undertones and a freshly squeezed lemon finish? :shock: It sits in water full of fish poop. It's gonna stink.

I say - relax - glue your corals to the rocks. Take 2 water changes and call me in the morning. :Cheers:

hahahahaha..... thanks RC, this cracked me up :heartpump:heartpump:grin::grin::toothy12::toothy12:

Back