will hermit crabs eat peppermint shrimp?

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by Adira, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Adira

    Adira Guest

    I was going to get some peppermint or other type of shrimp at a later
    date, but I currently have some hermits.......will they kill any shrimps
    I may add later?

    --
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
     
    Adira, Sep 25, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. not really, but it does depend on the hermit crab, general reef safe ones will leave
    shrimp alone.

    --
    Richard Reynolds
    Richard.Reynolds@usa.net



    "Adira" <edavisnospam@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:Xns9400C2C016DB4edavismidsouthrrcom@65.24.3.199...
    > I was going to get some peppermint or other type of shrimp at a later
    > date, but I currently have some hermits.......will they kill any shrimps
    > I may add later?
    >
    > --
    > Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
     
    Richard Reynolds, Sep 25, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Adira

    Pszemol Guest

    "Adira" <edavisnospam@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:Xns9400C2C016DB4edavismidsouthrrcom@65.24.3.199...
    > I was going to get some peppermint or other type of shrimp at a later
    > date, but I currently have some hermits.......will they kill any
    > shrimps I may add later?


    What kind of hermits are they? How big are they?
     
    Pszemol, Sep 25, 2003
    #3
  4. Adira

    Adira Guest

    Pszemol wrote:

    > "Adira" <edavisnospam@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
    > news:Xns9400C2C016DB4edavismidsouthrrcom@65.24.3.199...
    >> I was going to get some peppermint or other type of shrimp at a

    later
    >> date, but I currently have some hermits.......will they kill any
    >> shrimps I may add later?

    >
    > What kind of hermits are they? How big are they?
    >


    the ones with the reddish striped legs, and they their shells are the
    size of a half-dollar. They seem to be most interested in eating
    alagae off rocks and sifting sand at the moment.

    --
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
     
    Adira, Sep 25, 2003
    #4
  5. Adira

    Pszemol Guest

    "Adira" <edavisnospam@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:Xns94015E029BE71edavismidsouthrrcom@65.24.3.199...
    > > What kind of hermits are they? How big are they?

    >
    > the ones with the reddish striped legs,
    > and they their shells are the size of a half-dollar.


    Pretty big ones... I can see why you are worried :)

    > They seem to be most interested in eating
    > alagae off rocks and sifting sand at the moment.


    Can you maybe find a scientific name? It would greatly help.
     
    Pszemol, Sep 25, 2003
    #5
  6. Adira

    Adira Guest

    Pszemol wrote:

    > "Adira" <edavisnospam@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
    > news:Xns94015E029BE71edavismidsouthrrcom@65.24.3.199...
    >> > What kind of hermits are they? How big are they?

    >>
    >> the ones with the reddish striped legs,
    >> and they their shells are the size of a half-dollar.

    >
    > Pretty big ones... I can see why you are worried :)
    >
    >> They seem to be most interested in eating
    >> alagae off rocks and sifting sand at the moment.

    >
    > Can you maybe find a scientific name? It would greatly help.
    >


    The LFS called them red legged hermit crabs. If I find out they are
    not nice, I can always move to my other tank when I decide to buy
    some shrimp. In the Foster's and Smith catalog red legged hermit
    crabs are sold in one of the cleanup crew packages that also includes
    shrimp.

    --
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
     
    Adira, Sep 25, 2003
    #6
  7. Adira

    Pszemol Guest

    "Adira" <edavisnospam@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message news:Xns94018E421DBF9edavismidsouthrrcom@65.24.3.199...
    > The LFS called them red legged hermit crabs.


    I was not expecting to get scientific name from the LFS.
    Have you tried to search for the pictures on the net
    and try to identify them by comparison?

    > If I find out they are
    > not nice, I can always move to my other tank when I decide to buy
    > some shrimp. In the Foster's and Smith catalog red legged hermit
    > crabs are sold in one of the cleanup crew packages that also includes
    > shrimp.


    Maybe it was long time ago I saw half a dollar coin for the last time,
    but hermits sold in cleaning crews are much smaller, more like a quarter
    or sometimes even smaller :)

    I would say your are probably still fine unless you let them be too hungry ;-)
     
    Pszemol, Sep 25, 2003
    #7
  8. "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    news:bkuu9u.44k.0@poczta.onet.pl...


    > Maybe it was long time ago I saw half a dollar coin for the last time,
    > but hermits sold in cleaning crews are much smaller, more like a quarter
    > or sometimes even smaller :)



    i'd think a dime would be a big one sold in clean up packages. quarter
    sized would be called GIANTS.

    most of what you get offline are micro sized and about the size of a small
    pea, if your lucky you might get a few dime sized.

    kc
     
    Dragon Slayer, Sep 27, 2003
    #8
  9. Adira

    Adira Guest

    Dragon Slayer wrote:

    >
    > "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    > news:bkuu9u.44k.0@poczta.onet.pl...
    >
    >
    >> Maybe it was long time ago I saw half a dollar coin for the last
    >> time, but hermits sold in cleaning crews are much smaller, more

    like
    >> a quarter or sometimes even smaller :)

    >
    >
    > i'd think a dime would be a big one sold in clean up packages.
    > quarter sized would be called GIANTS.
    >
    > most of what you get offline are micro sized and about the size of

    a
    > small pea, if your lucky you might get a few dime sized.
    >
    > kc
    >
    >
    >


    Mine are WAY bigger than that, 2 are in shells the size of a half-
    dollar, the others at quarter at least. One of them keeps changing
    between 2 shells, like it can't decide what it wants to wear.

    --
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
     
    Adira, Sep 28, 2003
    #9
  10. your lucky (if you can call it that) to have got larger hermits, i have
    always got the micro sized some even small as bb's and it always seamed like
    they went through millions of shells befor they decided to pick one and grow
    a little. now i have a few that are about quarter size and i wish they were
    smaller, i dont like the really big one's but i prefer at least dime sized.

    kc
     
    Dragon Slayer, Sep 28, 2003
    #10
  11. Adira

    Adira Guest

    Dragon Slayer wrote:

    > your lucky (if you can call it that) to have got larger hermits, i
    > have always got the micro sized some even small as bb's and it

    always
    > seamed like they went through millions of shells befor they decided

    to
    > pick one and grow a little. now i have a few that are about

    quarter
    > size and i wish they were smaller, i dont like the really big one's
    > but i prefer at least dime sized.
    >
    > kc
    >
    >
    >


    I got them at an otherwise unimpressive pet store on Southaven,
    Mississppi of all places. The LFS that I go to regular can't seem to
    get them at all.

    --
    Remember, wherever you go, there you are.
     
    Adira, Sep 28, 2003
    #11
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.