Will salt evaporate?

Jmarcus

Reefing newb
I know that this is a basic question but I am still a newbie. I added salt to my newly set-up tank, about two weeks now. When getting close to filling the tank S/G low added another cup salt S/G out of range. Since then I have added several gallons of make-up fresh water still the salt content seems to be unchanged. I was just wondering if I should dip water out, and then add make-up water to get specific gravity in check, will replacing evaproated water with non-salt water lower S/G? Thanks Mark:Cheers:

Mark the SG high?If so,remove saltwater and add fresh will lower the SG.

Add freshwater for evaporation,but check it first,saltwater creeps,so add only the amount of freshwater to keep the SG where it should be..did that make sense?

Salt wont evaperate. My suggstion would be to take a half gal at atime of tank water and replace with fresh water, wait a half hour and test. Just keep doing this till your were you want to be. If you have star fish or other animals that fast changes effect it I would go even slower. What is your salinity at? 1.021 to 1.026 is ok. I would shoot for 1.024 to 1.026.

Reef and Bobbys done got you covered on your question.
If you plan on keeping stars,and other inverts,I would suggest keeping your SG 1.025 to 1.026.

Thanks all! As of yet all I have is base rock in tank. Skimmer on the way. Live rock and sand near future. So I get my s/g to desired level 1.025-1.026 and maintaine that level with good fresh water for evaperation, and salt water for water changes?

You are correct. Fresh only to top off evap. And saltwater at the same temp ph and SG for water changes. If its not the same temp or close, ph or SG it can throw your livestock into shock and for sensitive one it can kill them.

Back