Will these fish be okay for a 200 gallon?

spongeycrab

Reefing newb
Porcupine puffer

Gold band maroon clownfish

Blue caribbean tang

Dwarf zebra lionfish

Snowflake eel

Cat shark

Debelius reef lobster

Will they have any problems with each other etc.

Why do you think its ok to stuff a creature that gets over 3 ft long into an 8 ft tank? The is the equivalent of making you live in a bathroom for the rest of your life.

Also I think its time to revisit this conversation again, because you just dont seem to get it:
YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL.

If you research a fish and you find it's "expert only", and you ask on here or other sites about this fish you have your heart set on, and you have multiple people tell you that the fish is very difficult to keep, you should pass on it, don't even attempt it, remember that you are not different than anyone else that has tried to keep this fish and has failed.

If you think that you just might get lucky, the fish will do fine for you, and you are willing to take that chance, remember that's not the case.

Moorish idols are a great example. Because of "Finding Nemo" we had a lot of people coming on here saying they wanted to get a moorish idol. Do five minutes of research on them, and you will realize this fish is not realistic for 99% of the people in this hobby -- not even the vast majority of so-called "experts" with years of experience are willing or able to keep a moorish idol healthy and happy. Yet inevitably people will still buy them thinking they are different, or they are special, that everyone else must've been doing something wrong, that they can be the lucky one that is able to keep this fish alive.

Not true. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL. The moorish idol is going to die in your tank just like it dies in everyone else's tanks.

So that's what I mean by that. I just see all to often good advice on this site being dismissed because people think that for some reason they will have a different experience with a difficult animal than everyone else has experienced.

If everyone tells you that the powder blue tang is very susceptible to ich and not a good idea for your 55, but you do it anyways because you think you are lucky, you are different, you are special and you are hopeful that this fish will be just fine in your tank, you are wrong. Fish is gonna die.

Or how about if those irresistible seahorses would be so cute in your mixed reef, and even though you've been told that they don't do well with aggressive fish, you think that your experience is going to be different, your seahorses are going to do just fine with your other fish, because you are different and you will have better luck than everyone else. You are wrong about that. Sayonara, seahorses.

Or you want to put that hippo tang in your 29 gallon? You think it's okay because it's small, even though all the research you've done tells you otherwise, and the knowledgeable people you've asked tell you it's a bad idea, but you do it anyways because you think that your situation is different than everyone else's? Ehhh. Wrong. You are not special. Your situation is not different. You are not luckier than anyone else that has tried and failed. You do not have some sort of magical ability that will allow you to keep big fish in a small tank. Acknowledge it, admit it, accept it; accept that tangs just aren't meant for a 29 gallon tank, and find a better fish for your tank.

Dunno, everything online says minimum 180 gallons for those guys. I'm not experienced with sharks though so I don't know how big they get.

Well my buddy kept a bamboo. Says they are so hard to keep, and very finicky about eating.
He went the route of a oval tank, and it was like 400 gallons or something, dont remember anything in there with the shark.
In my opinion this shark is always moving, and if you have it in a regular tank, it wont be as happy. So I say, unless you are willing to provide the best conditions, this meaning atleast 300 gallon oval, then dont get it, keep it as a dream.
Just think, these guys reach almost 3 foot, a 180 gallons width isnt 3 foot... meaning he will be cramped, and because they are always turning, it will be cruel the way I see.

Back