Will this fit in an a 18.5 w canopy???

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

My icecap ballasts and spider reflectors showed up today.

Damn those reflectors are huge!!!!

I was planning on running 2 - 250's on either side with 2 -t5 on either side of the mh.

Can anyone confirm that this fits???

The canopy is 62"x 19.5"x16"h

Thanks

Not sure what your question is. Do you already have the canopy and the reflectors? If so, check yourself if everything you want in there fits. The canopy height looks fine. The width is fine too, but it seems like a weird size. Is the tank also 19.5" front to back? A standard tank is usually 12", 18" or 24". I ran spider reflectors before I upgraded to Lumenarcs and they fit fine in my 18" wide canopy.

If you think the spider reflectors are big, you should see how big good reflectors like Lumenarcs or Lumenbrights are. Spider reflectors are an OK starter reflector, but are no comparison (in price or performance) to the better reflectors. Too much light is lost out the sides of the reflector instead of being directed down into the tank.

Here are the spider reflectors in my canopy.
hammertone-before_3-09.jpg

And the Lumenarcs.
hammertone-after_3-09.jpg

And this is what it looks like on the tank with my VHO actinics.
hammertone-after2_3-09.jpg

Last edited:
would you do 2 - 250 or 3 in a 5' (I can get it made with a clear Eurobrace in the ctr if needed) but adds more $$$

I think that would eliminate the shadow from the center brace....???

Last edited:
2 should be fine. 3 would be a tight fit, but you can never have too much light. I don't get any shadows from my center brace. The light from the other 2 fills in where a shadow may have shown up.
If you use 2, neither should be in the center.

That pic is actually my tank. ;) The cross brace is right there...in the middle...the black plastic thing.

The reflectors are DIY Lumenarc Minis that are 14.5" x 14.5" x 6.5".

Back